What RPM should I launch on the 2-step?

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
I'm planning on making it to the track tomorrow night and just looking for opinions on what rpm to 2-step on.

I'm running a solid axle car, solid bushings, lowers, relocated uppers, 3.73's, and m/t et street byas plys. 26" tall tire I believe. clutch is a spec twin disc and a 3.4 whipple just shy of 700hp on pump. full weight

where do you think I can still hook at and get the car to work?

evil 03

THE 700 CLUB
Established Member
do a couple shake down passes and see were you can leave the line without spinning. you never know he might spin out the hole

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
that's what's prob going to happen just wondering if these cars launch around 3k or like 5k. I haven't ever raced a roots car just big nitrous and motor cars.

as far as my friend he usually dead hooks since its a turbo car. he's still getting the car figured out and on foot brake so I'm try to get a kill in before he 2-steps and trans brakes it.lol

evil 03

THE 700 CLUB
Established Member
that's what's prob going to happen just wondering if these cars launch around 3k or like 5k. I haven't ever raced a roots car just big nitrous and motor cars.

as far as my friend he usually dead hooks since its a turbo car. he's still getting the car figured out and on foot brake so I'm try to get a kill in before he 2-steps and trans brakes it.lol

man you sound like me 2 weeks ago, i race my friend built motor t76, 3 speed auto. but thank god i can drive

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7y_XPqDzNY"]Kb cobra vs t76 cobra - YouTube[/nomedia]

rudycobra

Established Member
Wish I could help more but I'm still with an eaton . Last time I went track was with 440 hp and 484 tq. And with mt et street I 2stepped at 5 k and dumped clutch and hooked . But with 700 that's hard to say . I'd prolly start 3500-4000 and fast ride clutch and c wat happens

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
man you sound like me 2 weeks ago, i race my friend built motor t76, 3 speed auto. but thank god i can drive

Kb cobra vs t76 cobra - YouTube

nice kill! the guy I'm running is a ls 370 with a custom spec 96 mill and a power glide. he made 700 on 14lbs at 5500rpm unlocked convertor, it ran out of fuel. he's planning on 25lbs at 7k rpm after a new pump. he trapped 109 in the 1/8th last week but the e.t's where slow cause he is just rolling out.

what rpm do u launch at with you mammoth? power numbers and times if u don't mind?

evil 03

THE 700 CLUB
Established Member
nice kill! the guy I'm running is a ls 370 with a custom spec 96 mill and a power glide. he made 700 on 14lbs at 5500rpm unlocked convertor, it ran out of fuel. he's planning on 25lbs at 7k rpm after a new pump. he trapped 109 in the 1/8th last week but the e.t's where slow cause he is just rolling out.

what rpm do u launch at with you mammoth? power numbers and times if u don't mind?

that run the rpm was at 3200 and i was 2stepping it but wasnt in boost. i just got my cage and anti roll bar in and im still trying to find the launch point. im making 751/638 i got to find the time sheet idont remember the times. Next time i got to the track im going to 2step it but go into boost and see if i cant lift the tires up in the air

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
that run the rpm was at 3200 and i was 2stepping it but wasnt in boost. i just got my cage and anti roll bar in and im still trying to find the launch point. im making 751/638 i got to find the time sheet idont remember the times. Next time i got to the track im going to 2step it but go into boost and see if i cant lift the tires up in the air

by the looks of that and your video then i should be able to hit it around 3500 and be fine with traction. what tires are you on?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'd probably start with a slip of the clutch at 3,500 rpm's on the 2-step and hope.

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
thanks for the help guys, gives a me a good baseline.

ANOTHER QUESTION

Should i hook up the rear sway bar or leave it unhooked? its a team z set up, no sway bar on the front.

stal94gt

Established Member
I run a 2 step making low 600's and a twin screw. It leaves hard as hell at 3000 rpm's car does a hard crack sound and runs. Any higher I blow my hooser 26x10 drag slicks off

71mustang99

1 Gimpy Gallon...
Established Member
well after a few shakedowns i set the 2-step at 3500 and went for it. Hooked great of the line but as soon as i got about 30-40 foot out (where they stop prepping) i would break traction and spin. I would have to pedal it in first and a bit in second to stop the car from spinning. I ended up trapping 99mph best time of 7.4 and a 1.80 60 foot. I think once i can get to a better track and hook i will be able to hit 6's. Im pretty happy with the night all in all, got tons of compliments on the car and people all around it all night. I hope to have a thread up in a few days with some video so keep an eye out.

Users who are viewing this thread