What rim sizes do you prefer?

Hak

Established Member
Hi all. New member here and opening up with a question about rim size seletion. I use to own an 02 GT with 17x9's up front with 17x10.5's in the back. My 03 Cobra currently has the stock rims. I've just been browsing for new rims, but I'm really undecided about what size to go with. I was thinking about either 17x9's & 17x10.5's or 18x9's & 18x10's. Which would you go with and why? :beer:

DE07GT

Established Member
18's are overrated and the prices for 18" tires are just retarded.
It all depends on the car and the wheel. Some 18's will look good on certain cars, but I've seen plenty on this site where look over-sized for the car. Plus from a performance perspective, I'd rather have a wheel half an inch wider and more room in the fender for tires with more sidewall.

Hak

Established Member
18x10.5, hmm. Haven't seen those yet. Most that I've run across are 10. I was looking mostly at FR500's, but may browse other styles as well. My old Stang was white with black bullets with the chrome lip. The Cobra is Redfire Metallic. Not sure to go with chrome, anthracite, or a black rim. Some of the cars I've seen on here look sick with their 18in rims and really low profile tires. I definately want a fat tire out back. The stock size with street tires break loose too easy. :( I may have to look for a good drag radial, but I currently live in the rainey state.

Thanks all for the input. :beer:

94vert50

Established Member
I strongly recommend 18's and a 10.5 in the back, especially if you are going to stay with a stock/stock replica wheel. I agree with the consensus on the forums that the cars look right with an 18" wheel. And be careful with pics- sometimes 18's can look big in pictures, but I don't think they ever look big in person.

And if you haven't lowered yet, do that at the same time.

wjk

Established Member
What I like about 17s is:
Smaller wheels fit the brakes better (there's nothing worse then a huge diamter wheel with a tiny brake showing clearly through)
More rubber = more cushion (for launches)
larger wheels = more weight (last place you want more weight is in the 4 corners of the car)
lastly, I love the look of these cars stock! They really did their homework on this build!

Hak

Established Member
18x11, damn, that's huge. Does the IRS allow for a larger wheel when compared to the SRA? The largest I fit on my GT was 10.5. The quad shocks / exhaust were close. Probably could've installed a larger wheel, but then it would bulge past the fender. Does the IRS allow for more back spacing? I'm all for running the fattest tires I can. Guess I'm gonna crawl under the car and take another peak.

94vert50: Car is already slammed. :-D

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I wouldn't mind having 18's but I have 17x9/17x10.5 and am happy for now.

But if I was buying wheels I would buy 18's

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
18's for looks all the way. 17's if you're overly concerned with every ounce of performance.

Users who are viewing this thread