What rear tires are you running?

What are your favorite rear tires?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Ok so I hope this is alright to post in the general Cobra forum.
I need new rear tires and want to know what you guys are running and your opinions on them.
I have 17x10.5 Cobra replica wheels with the low profile IRS bolt, my BFG DRS are dead and gone pretty much.

I have been looking at the following:
Nitto NT05/NT05R
Nitto NT555/NT555R
Mickey Thompson ET Streets
Toyo R888
and took a glance at some Hoosiers.
I don't quite want to jump into the Michelin/higher end range I don't think.

My mods/power are in my signature, a little over 500 to the wheels.
This is not a daily driver but it sees the streets 2-3 times a week. Hasn't seen the track by me but it might once or twice this year.
Along with a lot of others I want to get traction as well as life, too bad those words don't belong in the same sentence.
I'm leaning towards the traction end, hopefully the tire I go with will get more life than the 2000 miles I got out of these BFG's. Maybe I was too hard on them, had too much fun?!

Thanks in advance for any information/advice from anyone.

Joe
:rockon:

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I have the mickey t's et & they hook! Won't last long & not good in rain but great tire !

Yeah I figured the MT ETs wouldn't last much, if any longer than my BFG's did. I like the look of those MT's though.
About how many miles did you get out of them? And driving style? I have fun and don't always put put like I should but the soft compound wore pretty fast.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
NT05, hooks and can be driven on wet roads.

I've heard good things about the NT05 tire... not the NT05R (well not bad about the NT05R either) but the regular street/summer tire. I almost bought some today but figured I would ask some of my fellow SVT guys and hope to get some good advice.

Is this what you have run or currently run unforgiven? Seeing as you make more power than me if you get more traction I will be set.

Until I mod ;)

Last edited:

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
My 555r's hook reasonably. I slip though most of second almost all the time. lol. Unless it is 90 degrees out. I have a whipple 2.3 at 17 psi.

I think I will be lucky to get 2500 miles out of them. So I am looking for a new rears also.

Teej281

Established Member
NT05 or bust. best tire for street use. handle great, hook great, and if you get caught in the rain they are a dream.

unforgiven

Humble
Established Member
I've heard good things about the NT05 tire... not the NT05R (well not bad about the NT05R either) but the regular street/summer tire. I almost bought some today but figured I would ask some of my fellow SVT guys and hope to get some good advice.

Is this what you have run or currently run unforgiven? Seeing as you make more power than me if you get more traction I will be set.

Until I mod ;)

Yup, NT05 really help. I have a 2.3 Whipple and supporting mods. In September I will be going to a smaller upper and adding torco for an aggressive tune. I will let you know how they go with 600+.

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
Id have to say go with the NT05 as its the best all around tire that wont leave you for dead if you get caught out in the rain.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
My 555r's hook reasonably. I slip though most of second almost all the time. lol. Unless it is 90 degrees out. I have a whipple 2.3 at 17 psi.

I think I will be lucky to get 2500 miles out of them. So I am looking for a new rears also.

I thought the NT555R was a better hooking and longer lasting tire than that? Crazy how peoples results differ.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
Id have to say go with the NT05 as its the best all around tire that wont leave you for dead if you get caught out in the rain.

The only differences really between the NT05 and the NT05R is the "R" will give a bit more traction and less life correct?

I learned my lesson the other night about the BFG DRs and rain. Never again. Just glad I got through the nasty storm I got caught in.

Zeekmann

Established Member
When you say best tires yet, do you mean overall or traction? I'm sure they hook. I'm going to try to find the treadwear on them.

I have ran all the tires except the Toyo's and the MT might not last as long as some of the others but they hook the best and thats what I wanted. The BFG's felt sloppy, the Nittos did not hook unless you spun them over first. The MT is the best I have tried so far, but if you drive in the rain just stick with street tires.

bizzmeister

Captain America
Established Member
The only differences really between the NT05 and the NT05R is the "R" will give a bit more traction and less life correct?

The NT05R is strictly designed as a drag radial for straight line racing where as a NT05 is a ultra high performance summer tire.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I have ran all the tires except the Toyo's and the MT might not last as long as some of the others but they hook the best and thats what I wanted. The BFG's felt sloppy, the Nittos did not hook unless you spun them over first. The MT is the best I have tried so far, but if you drive in the rain just stick with street tires.

Where did you buy your MT's from and how much were they?
I'm looking for a 315/35/17

The NT05R is strictly designed as a drag radial for straight line racing where as a NT05 is a ultra high performance summer tire.
Ah, see I'm learning! First time around here. I know a fair share of things but there is always much more to learn.

SVTP is very helpful. Thanks again.

I have it narrowed down the to NT05 and the MT.... decisions decisions

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

So alot are saying to go with the NT05 performance tire. And you guys with alot of hp are hooking with these? Some of us won't get caught in the rain as I only take mine out if the forcast calls for sun. Thats why I would lean towards the dr. I currently have 555 dr.

Teej281

Established Member
My NT05's hook better than NT555R's do...just saying. Oh and they handle amazing too. I buy an all around tire that does well in the straights and corners and can deal with the rain just in case.

Last edited:

RangerTuckn20z

Behemoth
Established Member
If you want a tire that hooks for the track the new nitto drag radial does. Presteige has them and is running over 600hp and they hook in first at the track. That is gonna be my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread