What Pulley Combination?

Buckachow

KACHOW
Established Member
What kind of pulley ratios are you guys able to run with the stock m122 blowers?

I ask because I am adapting one to my lightning and I wonder if my 10.25'' crank pulley is too big for the blower. Its a stock m122 off a 2008 gt500 with the stock upper pulley.

I am curious to find out what is the fastest anyone has spun one of these blowers. My engine rpms will not go past 6k.

So if you guys could give me your pulley ratios or pulley sizes and max engine rpms I would really appreciate it.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
A 2.6 upper 15% lower combo should be good for 16-17psi depending on your exhaust set up. That's about the limit on pump gas imo unless you want to run race gas all the time. Some guys are running them with a 2.2 or 2.4 upper for 20-21 psi if you really want to spin the crap out of it.

Buckachow

KACHOW
Established Member
A 2.6 upper 15% lower combo should be good for 16-17psi depending on your exhaust set up. That's about the limit on pump gas imo unless you want to run race gas all the time. Some guys are running them with a 2.2 or 2.4 upper for 20-21 psi if you really want to spin the crap out of it.

Whats the diameter of a 15% lower? Or the diameter of the stock lower?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to figure out the propper pulley setup for street gas (with water/meth) and race gas (with water/meth)

I also dont want to spin the blower too fast. I am currently spinning the stock lightning blower too fast to be efficient, which is why I want to try out the m122 on the lightning

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:

Buckachow

KACHOW
Established Member
Stock lower is 7.5"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed to know.

So a 15% pulley like you have would make it about 8.6''
with your 2.6 upper (stock is 3'' right?) that would put you at about 3.31 pulley ratio.

What octane do you run that setup on?
I am thinking of going with a 9'' lower and stock upper for street and a 10.25'' lower and stock upper for track. Anyone think thats over spinning the blower?

airmanb2b

Established Member
Running 91 and 93 octane tunes with the 2.6 upper and the Ati 15%. It's actually 8.3 inches so really only a 10%.

Buckachow

KACHOW
Established Member
Running 91 and 93 octane tunes with the 2.6 upper and the Ati 15%. It's actually 8.3 inches so really only a 10%.

Whats your redline rpm?

I think I might be safer with a bigger pulley ratio as I wont be spinning my motor in the lightning as fast as you guys spin your motors.

I might be able to get away with my 10.25'' lower and a stock upper on 91 with water/meth

Red-GT500

Needs More Torque!
Established Member
Whats your redline rpm?

I think I might be safer with a bigger pulley ratio as I wont be spinning my motor in the lightning as fast as you guys spin your motors.

I might be able to get away with my 10.25'' lower and a stock upper on 91 with water/meth

Wouldnt that give you like 6 psi? The stock lower on the 5.4 Gt500 is much smaller (8 inches) i thought. I bet a 2.4 pulley wouldnt even spin one to the same speed as a stock set up on the GT500.

FordFanStan

Established Member
A 2.6 upper 15% lower combo should be good for 16-17psi depending on your exhaust set up.

Wouldnt that give you like 6 psi?

It's hard to say what his boost pressure would be, because he is adapting this blower to a 5.4 with 2v heads which are a lot more restrictive, it's not just about exhaust.

Mike, I had a stock 500 balancer and 15% IW balancer in my garage and I can measure them when I get home if you want. A lot of 500 guys start out with a smaller upper, then some will move on to a larger lower (10% or 15%) as well on the stock blower, but your top end is a lot more restrictive so take that into consideration. What are the other guys that already adapted the m122 running as far as L pulleys?

airmanb2b

Established Member
I never claim to be an expert on anything especially math. I would run the 2.5 or 2.4 upper with stock lower and see where you sit as far as boost. With the 2.4 you will be spinning the snot out of it and i would suggest a port job for efficiency. I would assume a 10% and 15% would be the same as far as gains. 4lbs for a 10% and 6lbs for a 15%. My ati 15% is not a true 15% if you look at the sizing chart above. It's actually a 10%. Only true 15% I know of is the IW unit.

Last edited:

Buckachow

KACHOW
Established Member
I never claim to be an expert on anything especially math. I would run the 2.5 or 2.4 upper with stock lower and see where you sit as far as boost. With the 2.4 you will be spinning the snot out of it and i would suggest a port job for efficiency. I would assume a 10% and 15% would be the same as far as gains. 4lbs for a 10% and 6lbs for a 15%. My ati 15% is not a true 15% if you look at the sizing chart above. It's actually a 10%. Only true 15% I know of is the IW unit.

Yeah Im just trying to figure out pulley ratio. My 10.25 with stock upper at 3 would put me at 3.4166 and my rpms redline at 6k and shits are around 5700 so that means a blower rpms at 19475...Im just trying to see what the fastest is that someone has spun the m122 and had it still be efficient. I think Im spinning the m112 too fast and it cant push out any more air.

What is the most extreme pulley ratio you have heard of on the m122?

It's hard to say what his boost pressure would be, because he is adapting this blower to a 5.4 with 2v heads which are a lot more restrictive, it's not just about exhaust.

Mike, I had a stock 500 balancer and 15% IW balancer in my garage and I can measure them when I get home if you want. A lot of 500 guys start out with a smaller upper, then some will move on to a larger lower (10% or 15%) as well on the stock blower, but your top end is a lot more restrictive so take that into consideration. What are the other guys that already adapted the m122 running as far as L pulleys?

Yeah, if you could get me the measurements so I have an idea of what these guys are spinning them at with their combos.

Only 2 L guys that I know of have done this and one is on a 4# (8.5'') lower and stock M122 upper and sees 14.66psi and the other is all stock (7.5'') and saw near 12psi. But both are on stock motors, so with my heads, cams and larger valves I should be a bit lower on psi, Im just curious as to what the efficient speed for this blower would be

If you can get those measure ments I would really appreciate it. Thanks man

Users who are viewing this thread