What power should stuff be repalced

sct12

Established Member
Wondering what power level does stuff start to fail in the engine? A friend is putting a 2 valve together with a cobra bottom end and we are wonding if it is worth putting rod bolts in now that it is out. He wants to push around 420-500 horse with a intercooled vortech with 13psi. Any ideas?

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
if the bottom end is the exact same one in the '03/04 cobras, i wouldn't worry one bit at those levels. i'm pushing 600rwhp and have no real concerns for my motor. now my stock clutch and rear end/tranny are different stories

the piston/wall clearance would be my biggest concern with a stock shortblock. rods/crank/block are good for almost double what your friend is looking at power-wise.

sct12

Established Member
Yes the bottom end is out of a 9000 mile 03. The 2 valves only rev to 5500 so cylinder pressure should not be too big a deal. That is what I was thinking that it will be fine. He is not one of those guys that is going to want way more power after its done, he just wants safe reliable power, hell anything over 450 horse in a fox just boils tires anyway.

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member
Yes the bottom end is out of a 9000 mile 03. The 2 valves only rev to 5500 so cylinder pressure should not be too big a deal. That is what I was thinking that it will be fine. He is not one of those guys that is going to want way more power after its done, he just wants safe reliable power, hell anything over 450 horse in a fox just boils tires anyway.

it depends on the tune. if i read the MMFF article right Manny at HPP got 800+rwhp on stock internals/bottom end and daily drives it. I can vouge for him as well he drove it to work when he tuned my car.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0705_2003_mustang_cobra/index.html

i could be wrong but from what i read he is on stock bottom end.

It will handle the power you want real easy.

Last edited:

sct12

Established Member
Thanks, I think we are just going to bolt it together and keep the power down, maybe I will talk him into a race gas tune with some timing added to it. I dont think 450 is enough but I have zero self control.

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member
Thanks, I think we are just going to bolt it together and keep the power down, maybe I will talk him into a race gas tune with some timing added to it. I dont think 450 is enough but I have zero self control.

I know a 96 cobra that did the swap and kept it aluminum block from his engine. and kept the weight down and made 420rwhp and was capable of low low 11's or maybe high 10's. it was fast. 450rwhp is pretty easily made.

it depends on the tune. if i read the MMFF article right Manny at HPP got 800+rwhp on stock internals/bottom end and daily drives it. I can vouge for him as well he drove it to work when he tuned my car.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0705_2003_mustang_cobra/index.html

i could be wrong but from what i read he is on stock bottom end.

It will handle the power you want real easy.

Driving to work is one thing. Using that 800hp or at least 600 of it regularly is another. I can't imagine that being that reliable for 100k.

Stangcharger

forged 4.2L v6
Established Member
Driving to work is one thing. Using that 800hp or at least 600 of it regularly is another. I can't imagine that being that reliable for 100k.

maybe not 100k, but still he has been DDing it for quite awhile with that level of power. and beleive me he prolly doesnt baby it. It's been to the track and worked hard i can tell you that.

if it holds that much for that long it should hold less for longer. it all depends on the tune.

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
Wondering what power level does stuff start to fail in the engine? A friend is putting a 2 valve together with a cobra bottom end and we are wonding if it is worth putting rod bolts in now that it is out. He wants to push around 420-500 horse with a intercooled vortech with 13psi. Any ideas?

Your buddy will melt a piston long before he has any problems with the rods. With a good tune, the stock cobra bottom end should last a very long time at 13 psi and 420-500 horse.

Adltdrvn

Established Member

Will 2v heads bolt onto a 03/04 shortblock?

What will the compression ratio be? Cobra have 8.5:1

Boosted_Cobra.

Matta fact...
Established Member
maybe not 100k, but still he has been DDing it for quite awhile with that level of power. and beleive me he prolly doesnt baby it. It's been to the track and worked hard i can tell you that.

if it holds that much for that long it should hold less for longer. it all depends on the tune.

Werd. It also doesnt have a PD blower so the Air temps are much lower thus keeping the pistons in one piece (thing that fails the most), If regular maintenance is done I could see it going for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread