What platform to start with?

StrayBullitt

Established Member
What if you got a V6 new Edge for like $1500 and did a Coyote swap. Shit my buddy just picked up a solid condition v6 for $1000 bucks and drove it home. They are out there. I mean, I like SN cars just fine, but New Edge is just that little nicer looking when all said and done imo. Anything you do a Coyote swap in will be a really fun car and I would think have some decent re-sale value for when you're ready to get your S550 too.

JMack81

Established Member
What if you got a V6 new Edge for like $1500 and did a Coyote swap. Shit my buddy just picked up a solid condition v6 for $1000 bucks and drove it home. They are out there. I mean, I like SN cars just fine, but New Edge is just that little nicer looking when all said and done imo. Anything you do a Coyote swap in will be a really fun car and I would think have some decent re-sale value for when you're ready to get your S550 too.
I like the Edge style and I think that's the route I'll go. Maybe an 06 style. I really like the Saleen kit on the Edge cars too. Really aggressive looking.

JMack81

Established Member
That would be cool too, little more modern. I never seem to see them less than 6 grand though.
Right. I'm willing to pony up for my pony. The last thing I want is to get $20k into a project and wish I had put a little more into the starting point. I am going to take a step back and look at my options. I can get a Coyote pull out with tranny and computer for about 4K and I'm looking at the On3 turbo kit. If I spend about 14-16, I can start with a 2011 and the motor is already in place.

JMack81

Established Member
I think I've locked down my mind on a 2011+ 5.0 so thanks to all for the input. This project started as a cash car with a pushrod 302/351 block and now we're heading to the bank. lol. I just noticed my $200 a month blueprint payment on a credit card is done so I can replace that with a car payment. (and probably load that card back up with a turbo install ;))

Sluggie24

Established Member
Spending more $ is ok if you're getting what you really want and it sounded like you really wanted a newer 5.0 to begin with.

JMack81

Established Member
Spending more $ is ok if you're getting what you really want and it sounded like you really wanted a newer 5.0 to begin with.
Well, I just wanted a project but it's become one of those "well, if I spend a little more, I can get this. I'm already spending this so what's a little more?" and so on. Now we're filling out paperwork and running up credit cards on the internet.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Wise choice. You would have spent just as much to get a coyote in an older car as just buying a car it comes in. You will always have some delusional person tell you how cheap their cousin did the swap, but it never adds up when I calculate the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

JMack81

Established Member
Wise choice. You would have spent just as much to get a coyote in an older car as just buying a car it comes in. You will always have some delusional person tell you how cheap their cousin did the swap, but it never adds up when I calculate the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Right. I built my own 2v back in the day and it was a beast. I was also 20 with all the time in the world so there was no labor cost really. $15k will get me a decent higher mileage 2011. $15k would also get me a 2002 with a coyote... maybe. Seems pretty obvious.

Kornilov

Established Member
Definitely much easier to get a Coyote already in the car. Just be aware, the 2011 & 2012 cars had shitty transmissions and 2011 & some 2012 cars used to pop #8 cylinders (mostly as a result of tuners inexperienced in tuning Coyotes). My point is to be wary of the cheap 2011's and 12s. Does cars have likely been flogged and may or may not have run wildly unsafe tunes for whatever amount of time.

If you do end up going the Coyote swap route, look for a wrecked F150 - you will be able to get the engine for cheap and you'll know it wasnt tuned and thrashed like one in a Mustang.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Thankfully my mt82 has been great in my 11.... 80k miles so far.....

But the shortblock was replaced under warranty the middle of 2015 for piston slap. I don't know which cylinder(s) but it'd been great since I've owned it.

JMack81

Established Member
What does everyone think about a high mileage coyote car? Like 100k already on it. I can find those in my budget and still leave room to turbo it right away. Anyone out there pushing the limits like that successfully?

StalkerStang

Established Member
Probably be fine if it was just a driver.... the trans would be my biggest concern.

I would do oil pump gears though with any FI....

JMack81

Established Member
I plan to blow the shizz out of it but I don't really want to start off with a time bomb from the get go.

Users who are viewing this thread