What platform to start with?

JMack81

Established Member
Hello all. I've been out of the stang game for a long time but I used to have a billet 4.6 running about 18#s. Made a lot of power but I spent a fortune in 2001-4 doing it. I'm ready to dive back in but I'm debating pushrod vs modular. I'm looking at a turbo setup that can hold up to 1000hp. When it comes to cost, what's everyone's preference. I can pickup a popped 95 for about $1500 or an 02 that looks like my old one for $8500. Need to decide my path soon.

Thanks for any input.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Look around for a while in your area on craigslist. You should be able to find cars with blown motors and good bodies cheap. Might take a bit to find the right one. That's the best place to start if you're taking a big power build anyway. Find the body style that has the motor/trans type you want to make your job easier.

My personal recommendation would be something that has a 4.6 since the mod motors seem to respond better to boost than the pushrod engines do making it easier for you to hit your goal. For the power you're talking a 5.4L build with a big turbo might be a good way to go.

JMack81

Established Member
Look around for a while in your area on craigslist. You should be able to find cars with blown motors and good bodies cheap. Might take a bit to find the right one. That's the best place to start if you're taking a big power build anyway. Find the body style that has the motor/trans type you want to make your job easier.

My personal recommendation would be something that has a 4.6 since the mod motors seem to respond better to boost than the pushrod engines do making it easier for you to hit your goal. For the power you're talking a 5.4L build with a big turbo might be a good way to go.

That's the idea. I'm still in early 2000 as far as my knowledge goes so I appreciate updated info.

KEVINS

Established Member
I've got a 2V making 700hp with all custom turbos/piping but I'm hoping for 900hp in a few months. I curse this 2v just about every time I have to work on it due to the lack of room for items to fit. I see windsor motors making a lot more power (with good heads) and doing it a lot easier than this 2v plus they leave a lot more room under the hood. Hind sight being 20/20 I would prefer a windsor just b/c a 4v would have less room than my 2v and the W's are much simpler to work on, IMO.

That much power requires good heads and you can get them in a stock 4v config or aftermarket W's.

ks

StalkerStang

Established Member
If boost is a priority, I would go mod motor. If you do a pushrod, anything 8.2 deck based is going to need an aftermarket block. Even if you go 9.5 deck, once you go over 600-650, your at the limit of a production 2 bolt main block.

If I had my 99 back and it was a project car, it would be getting a Coyote motor. After having my 11 and seeing what that engine can do in a 3600 lb. car, I could only imagine what it would do in a 3200 lb. SN or Edge car.

If your down to drop 8500 on an edge car, then I would get the 95 for the cheap and put whatever engine you want in it. 95 Coupe with a Coyote truck motor for 2-3K, even n/a would destroy a full bolt on even cam'd 2V and probably most bolt on n/a 4V 4.6's.

JMack81

Established Member
I've got a 2V making 700hp with all custom turbos/piping but I'm hoping for 900hp in a few months. I curse this 2v just about every time I have to work on it due to the lack of room for items to fit. I see windsor motors making a lot more power (with good heads) and doing it a lot easier than this 2v plus they leave a lot more room under the hood. Hind sight being 20/20 I would prefer a windsor just b/c a 4v would have less room than my 2v and the W's are much simpler to work on, IMO.

That much power requires good heads and you can get them in a stock 4v config or aftermarket W's.

ks
If your motor is post 99, it likely is a Windsor. Windsor and Romeo are the name of the plants that make them.

KEVINS

Established Member
I know. Most people will easily differentiate the Mod motor platform from the older Windsor platform and not nitpick.

ks

Sluggie24

Established Member
No matter which platform you go with expect to spend north of $20k to get 1000hp and put it to the ground reliably.

JMack81

Established Member
Perhaps my post was a little confusing. I am not necessarily looking to put 1000hp to the ground (although that would be pretty cool) but rather build a setup capable of withstanding such a load.
I believe I've decided to go with a Coyote build. Now begs the question, what do I start with. The original plan has elevated from a fox body to an SN-95 to now a modular starting point. I am OBSESSED with the new body style but unless I find a blown up one for cheap, I can't really justify it. I already have Raptor payments and another car payment for a toy just doesn't make sense.

StalkerStang

Established Member
I don't know ur price range, but I sold my 99 Gt, took 5500 from that and put it towards the 11 GT I have now. I got the asking price down to 17.5 and financed 12g....

$180 mo payment.

JMack81

Established Member
I don't know ur price range, but I sold my 99 Gt, took 5500 from that and put it towards the 11 GT I have now. I got the asking price down to 17.5 and financed 12g....

$180 mo payment.
Right on. I was thinking about dumping my boat. In 2 years my Raptor will be paid off and I can open up the budget some. This went from a cash project to financing a car pretty fast. lol

I wish the brand new one's were less. My god they're beautiful!!

StalkerStang

Established Member
Lol its only money!

Sounds like you got a dilemma. Go cheap with a SN car and drop a yote in it, or maybe wait til the 18's are available and hope the price on the 15-17's come down.

Biggest issue I have with 05+ cars is the weight though...

JMack81

Established Member
Lol its only money!

Sounds like you got a dilemma. Go cheap with a SN car and drop a yote in it, or maybe wait til the 18's are available and hope the price on the 15-17's come down.

Biggest issue I have with 05+ cars is the weight though...
This is true. I found my exact car but 2 years newer and it's a thing of beauty! '02 with a Saleen kit. I totaled mine in the early 2k's but I had 847 rwhp coming out of that one and I loved it. That may be my best bet but its 8k. For 14, I can get a Coyote car.

Sluggie24

Established Member
This past fall I found and purchased an 04 GT auto with 89k mi for $8.9k. It had about $8k in aftermarket parts in it already including a V3 Vortech.

3 months before that I found and purchased a 03 GT auto with 90k mi for $6.5k for my sons first car. Had about $1k in parts on it.

Both were the exact color combos we wanted and were within 75 mi of us.

I didn't find either car the first day of looking. Take your time and look for what you want. If you don't rush you WILL find what you want for what you're willing to pay.

JMack81

Established Member
This past fall I found and purchased an 04 GT auto with 89k mi for $8.9k. It had about $8k in aftermarket parts in it already including a V3 Vortech.

3 months before that I found and purchased a 03 GT auto with 90k mi for $6.5k for my sons first car. Had about $1k in parts on it.

Both were the exact color combos we wanted and were within 75 mi of us.

I didn't find either car the first day of looking. Take your time and look for what you want. If you don't rush you WILL find what you want for what you're willing to pay.
I absolutely agree. My only issue is that if I do want the Edge model, I'd be hard pressed to find one with the Saleen kit in as good of shape. I guess I could always add it all later. Did it the first go around.

Sluggie24

Established Member
If you think someone is asking too much for their car chances are that others will too. Throw a lower reasonable offer at the seller and see what they do. Depending on how long it's been for sale and how bad they want to sell it you might strike a deal. If not just give it a few weeks and then see if they changed their mind. It's a buyers market these days. Most people are working poor and don't have money for fun secondary cars so they are harder to sell right now.

Users who are viewing this thread