What parts to strengthen for more boost?

CWeathers

Established Member
I would like to add more boost, over 10psi, but I don't want to damage anything.

What parts do I need to beef up in order to handle the bigger blowers?

:-?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Pistons are the gig one. Our cranks are quite good. The connecting rods are a good item to swap while the motor is apart for the pistons. How much boost are we talking about here anyway?

Rara

Established Member
If I was gonna be pulling my motor apart anyway to build it up for boost, I would do forged rods and pistons, ARP head bolts/studs (whatever :D) and the best head gaskets I could find.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by TurboSnake
What kinda power are you talking,your stock bottom should be good to 500 rwhp. (if you are talking about a 5.0).

Nah he has a 97 Cobra. Say TS! We have a guy here looking for pics of the 5.0 TT setup. Think you could help out? Yours is TT isn't it?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by CWeathers
I would like to add more boost, over 10psi, but I don't want to damage anything.

What parts do I need to beef up in order to handle the bigger blowers?

:-?

Since I just went through the whole process and research. At a minimum you will need to replace the pistons. To be comfortable get pistons, rings and rods. To be certain get pistons, rods, rings, stud girdle and some forged head studs. I would also get the block worked over. Personally(what I'm doing next as far as engine fortification) I would go with an SHM shortblock or someone that offers "bullet proof" shortblock.

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Yep. DSS is now offering "bullet" 4.6 blocks in stock bore/stroke and larger now! Hooray! We are gonna get some competition to drive the prices down now. I know Steeda sells rotating assemblies also, they might sell short blocks too. This is getting better now. :burnout:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
Yep. DSS is now offering "bullet" 4.6 blocks in stock bore/stroke and larger now! Hooray! We are gonna get some competition to drive the prices down now. I know Steeda sells rotating assemblies also, they might sell short blocks too. This is getting better now. :burnout:

I looked at DSS but I could never get an actual person on the phone to talk about their shortblocks. I hope that's not an indicator of the kind of service and products they have. :read:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah

I looked at DSS but I could never get an actual person on the phone to talk about their shortblocks. I hope that's not an indicator of the kind of service and products they have. :read:

I hope your right about that. DSS had better not screw this up. There are alot of people that would be intrested in buying if they could count on it.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
It is possible. I have done it. My tune was way off, being too rich. The thing is what has been done to strenghten the internals to all the extra pressure from both? That is the biggest issue. A small shot, like 25-50 is what I used as an aftercooler. It has to be after the SC so that id doesn't crack the SC case due to the rapid and vast change in temperature. In a centrifical unit that is.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by isdnmatt
Does anyone use the nitrous with a roots blower?

-Matt

A few of the Lightning guys are using a shot also. Might want to talk to them.

Users who are viewing this thread