What oil?

KsE

Established Member
What's the oil of choice? I know the older Shelby guys are amsoil fans. I ran royal purple in my 03 and just Mobil 1 in my z06/viper.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
A lot of guys on this site use amsoil, teamshelby uses mobil 1. Some use royal, others stay with motorcraft....so its just going to be preference or do some research on which one has highest ratings. Honestly pm me Unleashedbeast, hes the oil guru here. Or go to the GT500 section and look up the oil thread

jtfx6552

Established Member
Amsoil FTW, unleashedbeast has put some great things together on that thread. I'm going Amsoil 10-40 here in a couple weeks.

Does Amsoil not make oil in the recommended viscosity, or is there some thread somewhere with the rationale behind the 10-40?

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Thanks, that made it worse!

I have 600miles on the car and I want to change the oil...is it standard procedure on the first oil change to go factory fill then then next change go whatever route?

I wouldnt say standard procedure, by the factory oil is definitely up to the task or they wouldnt use it. My suggestion, dump it out now, get some new motorcraft in there and then take your time researching to make an informed decision for your next change and every one there after.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Thanks, that made it worse!

I have 600miles on the car and I want to change the oil...is it standard procedure on the first oil change to go factory fill then then next change go whatever route?

I would dump the factory fill by 1k at most then use whatever you want. If it was me I would fill it with AMSOil 10w40 and use a EA011 filter.

bull3441

Established Member
Do the new cars tell oil pressure in a psi reading or traditional? The 5w-50 oil will see 100psi at startup. I think that's why Ford added the billet plate to the oil pump. That's high OP on startup. Amsoil 10w-40 see's around 80psi at start up. If I had the car and didn't increase boost I'd use OEM, If I started modding I's go with either Amsoil or Joe Gibbs oil. Unleashed should be here soon with info LOL

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
With all the changes in the 5.8 there is no way I'd run a different viscosity without a real good reason.

Ill let the "pioneers" try different viscosities and see what happens.

It is amazing to me that guys don't trust the guys who designed it to know what viscosity is best.

Zeroescence

Established Member
The motorcraft junk shears down from 50 to 40 fast. So if it's okay to run 40 after 1000 miles it's okay to use it to begin with. Amsoil is 5 times the quality oil that motorcrap is.

jsdeweyusmc

Established Member
Why don't you guys wait till you get 7500 miles on it before changing oil? The book calls for 7500. Both my 2010 and 2012 went to the 7500 and them 15000 and so on. Didn't hurt a thing and if it did it was cover by the warranty and only used Motorcraft.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
With all the changes in the 5.8 there is no way I'd run a different viscosity without a real good reason.

Ill let the "pioneers" try different viscosities and see what happens.

It is amazing to me that guys don't trust the guys who designed it to know what viscosity is best.

If I had a stock car I would probably run the "recommended" oil but mine would never stay stock. Run your MC for 2k then send a sample in, come back and we will talk about what viscosity it's at. Just because the label on the bottle says it, don't take it for the gospel truth. ;-)

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Why don't you guys wait till you get 7500 miles on it before changing oil? The book calls for 7500. Both my 2010 and 2012 went to the 7500 and them 15000 and so on. Didn't hurt a thing and if it did it was cover by the warranty and only used Motorcraft.

The first change needs to be done a lot sooner to get the break materials out of there. You can push it to the max and it will be covered under the warranty period. I usually own my cars for a long time and the big issues start to come along around 100k plus. By then it's long out of warranty which is why on time good fluid changes are so important before 100k. Also, time on the fluid is just as important as mileage if not more so. I've heard guys leave oil in for two years because it only had a few thousand miles. :nonono:

bull3441

Established Member
If you beat the piss out of the car it needs to be changed more frequently. If you're the type of guy that just cruises with the car and does an occasional highway pull etc, than that's a different story. It's not like you will hurt the car buy changing oil more frequently. Guys will spend $60k and then wan't to cheap out on oil changes :nonono: Not saying that's you.

Users who are viewing this thread