What Oil to use....

quick99snake

Established Member
i like valvoline full-synth, but i don't change the oil in mine right now, the dealer does it for free, part of my deal when i bought the car. they just use whatever brand 5W-30 that ford puts in. works just fine for me. also, i haven't had any experience w/ amsoil.

------------------
Hamilton Pullen
Electric Green '99 Cobra
Pro 5.0 Power Tower
Flowmaster 2-Chamber Cat-Back (SOON) Make that MAC Flowpath with 3.5" tips
PHP IRS Brace (SOON)Not gonna do it, heard some bad things

WolfB

Established Member
I run Redline in all my vehicles,got a E250 with a 351 would burn a quart every 1500 mi.Put Redline in and no more burn,must handle the heat better.Run it in my Mustang also. Don't know if it improved milage though I just drive to have fun and fill up when needed.I'll have to check one of these days.I did used to use Mobil 1 synthetic also.

------------------

Wildpony

Established Member
I just switched over to Synthetic at 45,000 miles -Penzoil. I don't know that one is any better than the other. I think they are pretty close and they let marketing/racers endorse it. (John Force runs Quaker State and he does alright) Doesn't mean Mobil 1 won't do the trick though. One thing I did notice is that my "around town" fuel economy went up from 14-15 average to 17-19 average. On the highway my mileage went back up to the mid-upper "20's" where it was when I first got the car- recently was getting only around 20 on "trips"

Ram Rod

Got Truck?
Established Member
All I can tell you is that the 2001 Cobra's require 5w-20. Thats right 5w-20, you want to say hard to find. There are only two types that I found Amsoil or Motorcraft <Ford Oil>. No other company I found sells 5w-20. I asked around and people say if it stated 5w-20 use it, so I do. Amsoil would be the best to use I have asked many mechanics and some racers and they live behind it. My 2 cents.

Laterz

Snake Eyez

Established Member
Amsoil all the way. Meets Ford specs: FORD WSS-M2C153-H I was a strict user of Mobil 1 before, but Mobil 1 doesn't make a 5W-20 oil, so I decided to go with Amsoil. No complaints, and it costs about the same. It's supposed to be rated a much better oil than Mobil 1 too. Here's a good FAQ page for Amsoil: http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/faqs.htm

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by Snake Eyez
Amsoil all the way. Meets Ford specs: FORD WSS-M2C153-H I was a strict user of Mobil 1 before, but Mobil 1 doesn't make a 5W-20 oil, so I decided to go with Amsoil. No complaints, and it costs about the same. It's supposed to be rated a much better oil than Mobil 1 too. Here's a good FAQ page for Amsoil: http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/faqs.htm

-not to sound rude, but yes, Mobil does infact produce a 5w-20 oil. It's just not synthetic. ;) Just wanted to clear up any confusion out there for others who might be reading this :)

Oct24$01.JPG

sssSnake 01

Established Member
I run Castrol GTX.

If you want a less expensive alternative in a 5W20 this is a good choice.

I have been able to find it most places and buy it buy the case. This will save you money even if you do not change it yourself. Just take the oil with you and they will not charge you for bottled oil and will give a discount for bringing your own.

Happy motoring!

Snake Eyez

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA90GT

-not to sound rude, but yes, Mobil does infact produce a 5w-20 oil. It's just not synthetic. ;) Just wanted to clear up any confusion out there for others who might be reading this :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding, my original post was referring only to Mobil 1 products which are the synthetics, not to the complete Mobil oil line.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by Snake Eyez

Sorry for the misunderstanding, my original post was referring only to Mobil 1 products which are the synthetics, not to the complete Mobil oil line.

-I knew you were referring to the synthethics....hopefully they come out with their 5w-20 synth very soon, I'm planning to switch over to it then :)

Snake Eyez

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA90GT

hopefully they come out with their 5w-20 synth very soon, I'm planning to switch over to it then :)

You really should check into the Amsoil. It was around before Mobil 1 ever came out as the first true synthetic. Before, I would have never switched, but now that I have, I won't go back. Amsoil forever! It's about the same cost as Mobil 1 when you get on their preferred customer or dealer program, plus I'm using their fuel treatment as well and haven't heard the dreaded "Ping" yet, (knock on wood)

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by sssSnake 01
Better yet knock on metal and you will hear the ping LMAO!

-Hopefully none of the "pingers" are going to give you hell for that! If I was a pinger, I'd have to hurt ya! j/k..lol But I would make Ford buy the damn car back if that was the case.. :shocked:

Users who are viewing this thread