What Oil to use

Trblmkr

Established Member
My manual says to use 5W-20. But trying to find that in synthetic is next to impossible.

Is it worth going to synthetic or should I just stick with normal oil.

Also, would it hurt the car if I used a different weight in Synthetic ??

Thanks
:thumbsup:

Black Cobra

Established Member
For starters, the owners manual for my '98 says to use 5W-30. From what I've read, Ford started requiring the 5W-20 oil in 2001. Both are 5-weight base oil. The viscosity of the 5W-20 at 212 degrees meets the 20-weight characteristics rather than the heavier 30-weight. The lighter weight at temperature offers less drag on moving parts resulting in the engine using a tiny bit less fuel. The question still remains, at temperature, what is a better weight oil for our engines? 20-weight or 30-weight?

I came across a website of an Independent AMSOIL Dealer's page that says that the 5W-20 oil is just a scam. "They are NOT looking out for the customers best interest. They are looking out for their best interest which ultimately results in more billions of dollars profit for them while all you end up with is less protection for your engine and an engine which will wearout sooner. Read on to learn the TRUTH behind 5W-20 and beware because more OEM's will be doing the same thing in the years to come."

Read what they have to say.
Honda & Ford's SAE 5W-20 Scam

Then I found where AMSIOL has there very own 5W-20. But it's synthetic.
AMSOIL 5W-20 Synthetic

Neo Synthetic oils and lubricants, say that their "ARCTOL" 5W-20 oil was developed especially as an arctic climate oil for use in extremely low temperature environments where even SAE 5W-30 synthetic oil may not be fluid enough for easy starting.
Neo "ARCTOL" 5W-20 Synthetic

I'll have to do some more looking....

Users who are viewing this thread