What oil are you running?

luvgun74

Established Member
What brand and weight oil is everyone running? I'm about to come up on my first oil change and all i can find in 5w50 is castrol. Anyone else running a different weight and/or brand? Fill me in please! :shrug:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Factory synthetic Ford.

Supercharger

Established Member
My understanding is that you are supposed to use the Ford 5W50 synthetic. I can't recall the specifics without the owner's manual in front of me, but the characteristics of other 5W50 synthetic oils are not necessarily the same. At my dealer, it was about $9 a quart, so pretty pricey.

skyhighsd

Established Member
I run 5/50 full syn from castrol, sorry but I will not buy into the hole "you must run Ford oil" thing. They are sticking it to you on the price of "Fords" oil. Which I would be more than willing to bet it is just another brand of oil relabeled.

luvgun74

Established Member
That's what i believe as well. I always ran royal purple in my 07 Roush 427r, but from what i gather they don't make a 5/50.

skyhighsd

Established Member
If you check out some other sites also, you will see a lot of guys run the castrol to. I hear on the royal purple I also like Amsoil but have not been able to find 5/50 or that would be what I would run.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As long as it meets the Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B or SM/CF in API speak, you are good to go. Castrol 5W50 meets this standard. The standards actually mean something - some oils simply do not hold up well in turbo or supercharged vehicles. If you are not running the Ford oil, you really should send off an oil sample to see how whatever brand you are using is holding up. Without an oil sample, you are simply guessing. Also note that Amsoil will not warranty once you mod - read the small print. Amsoil makes a 5w40 specifically for turbo/supercharged cars but not a 5w50 yet.

I certainly would not run an oil in it that did not meet the SM/CF spec. SM is the highest rating for passenger vehicles.

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/English_Oil_Guide.pdf

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
If you check out some other sites also, you will see a lot of guys run the castrol to. I hear on the royal purple I also like Amsoil but have not been able to find 5/50 or that would be what I would run.

IIRC RP doesn't make 5/50

6-Speed

Established Member
As long as it meets the Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B or SM/CF in API speak, you are good to go. Castrol 5W50 meets this standard.
Last time I looked, the Castrol 5W50 only met Ford WSS-M2C931-A. I use the Motorcraft Oil 5W50 synthetic oil.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Last time I looked, the Castrol 5W50 only met Ford WSS-M2C931-A. I use the Motorcraft Oil 5W50 synthetic oil.

Well, I looked before I posted and Castrol says:
SAE 5W–50:
provides the widest range of protection available. SAE 5W–50 delivers exceptional cold temperature pumpability for rapid oil circulation at start–up and provides a thick oil film for ultimate wear protection. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3; Ford WSS–M2C931–A and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF–4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
i run royal purple 10/40, as that is what they recommended

Do an oil analysis to see how it is holding up esp being a different weight than called for. Amsoil Euro 5w40 held up much better in my other turbo and supercharged vehicles than RP.

Last edited:

johnwynn

Established Member
You are suppose to change the oil? I have taken it to the stealership at let them do the first 2 as they gave me 2 free. First time they had to go to another dealership to get the oil.

Willie2

Established Member
What brand and weight oil is everyone running? I'm about to come up on my first oil change and all i can find in 5w50 is castrol. Anyone else running a different weight and/or brand? Fill me in please! :shrug:

thats all i could find as well. working out great for me

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
The dealership did my 1st one for free at 1700miles (breakin oil out). I just did the 2nd change at 3700miles used castro full syn 5/50, 6 1/2 quarts. I used castro in my 03 and my wifes blown 06GT vert no problems so far and she got 36,000 miles and she drives with her HAIR ON-FIRE every time she gets in it.

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
I have an 04 cobra mildly modded. I run 5w30 royal purple. I was running mobil one when I first got it once I switch it over what a difference. I have 55,000 at the clock change it every 3000

mullens

Established Member
5w-50 Castrol Syntec. I won't let the dealer do my oil changes. The service guy offered to do the first one free and he didn't even know it took synthetic. (He was sure it took 5-20 dyno). I told him to look at the friggin cap, and he was surprised. Not saying all dealers are like this, but I wouldn't let that knucklehead come near my ride. IMO Amsoil is the best out there, but they don't make 5-50 yet.

Last edited:

SpdPilot

Established Member
Do an oil analysis to see how it is holding up esp being a different weight than called for. Amsoil Euro 5w40 held up much better in my other turbo and supercharged vehicles than RP.

Oil Analysis? There are lots of reasons to spend this amount of time for testing oil if you are racing or need to determine engine failure, but "to see how it is holding up" means you have way to much time on your hands.

SpdPilot

Established Member
I am very very loyal to Mobil 1 and have been for many years. I built race engines and nothing showed less wear and cleaner parts. After reading this thread, I just checked their website and they don't make it in 5/50....ugh...got first oil change coming up! I also like Royal Purple and Red Line. hmmmm, not a big fan of Castrol. I guess I will have to look into why they are recommend this viscosity. 0/30 is kind of the standard these day. Oh well

Users who are viewing this thread