What oil are you running?

MTBSully

Established Member
Well? I have always just run valvoline synthetic. However, I am running rotella t6 5w-40 synthetic in my motorcycle and now in my diesel truck as well due to the ravings by people on both gsxr forums as well as the diesel forums. I am very happy with both of them in both of those vehicles, and am thinking about making the switch for my oil change this season. Any of you turbo guys running this stuff? How do you like it? If not, what are you running?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well? I have always just run valvoline synthetic. However, I am running rotella t6 5w-40 synthetic in my motorcycle and now in my diesel truck as well due to the ravings by people on both gsxr forums as well as the diesel forums. I am very happy with both of them in both of those vehicles, and am thinking about making the switch for my oil change this season. Any of you turbo guys running this stuff? How do you like it? If not, what are you running?

Head on over to the Greasy Spoon subforum to get some great info. You don't want to run a 40 weight oil in your Cobra and from what I understand the T6 is not as great as some say. Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 Extended Performance would be better choices than the Valvoline or T6. Of course if you want the best it's Amsoil Signature Series.

Penzoil Ultra 10w-30 ..would run the 5w but it's never in stock in the 5qt jug @Walmart.

This is what I run too and it's always available online for $25 per 5 qt jug and free shipping on orders over $50. I ordered it even when it said it was out of stock and it still came a few days later - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Ultra-5W-30-Motor-Oil-5-qt./14958686

EDIT- just noticed this is in the turbo Cobra subforum, so maybe T6 is great for turbo cars, idk

Last edited:

HFBPA889

BOOST MAKES ME HAPPY!!!
Established Member
Last year Amsoil SS 5w30; this year switching to Amsoil Dominator 10w30 and going e85. Also using Amsoil ATF in my T56 and its awesome.

MTBSully

Established Member
Interesting. Have done a bit more reading and i think im going to give the T6 a go. Have yet to hear a bad thing about it and it seems lots of turbo guys are running it.

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
I've been running the T6 in my car ever since it's had a turbo and i just buy it in bulk because i run it in all 4 of our vehicles and haven't had one issue.

MTBSully

Established Member
I've been running the T6 in my car ever since it's had a turbo and i just buy it in bulk because i run it in all 4 of our vehicles and haven't had one issue.

Yup, looks like i'll be doing the same. Its running in all my stuff now lol (except the beater).

Eatonualive281

Established Member
I run 5w40 t6 in my cobra now and I live in the northeast. It gets pretty cold up here. Should i be avoiding colder temperatures when I start the car?

Somebody recommended that I shouldn't start the car up in temps lowet than 40 deg with this oil. Don't know if that's true or not. Do you guys have any input on this?

Last edited:

Woody6799

Established Member
Mobil 1 in my Explorer, been running it since 85k with 10k miles in between, at 202k now
Mobil 1 in my Grand Cherokee, since 78k with 10k miles in between, at 103k now
RP HPS in the Cobra, changed every spring. Always less than 2500 miles lol

masterjr33

Established Member
another T6 vote. the daily shit box runs it. the wifes WRX runs it. my cobra runs it. my last car ran it. find me a better gallon of synthetic for 20$ and ill switch.. that has enough ZZDP to make me happy.

MTBSully

Established Member
even in the winter when you go out to let her idle for a bit?

1. You shouldn't let your car idle in the winter. Once you put it away, its better to just change the oil and leave it till spring.

2. I wouldn't hesitate to. Its a 5w-40 synthetic. Hell the Boss 302 i think specs a 50 weight oil. I am convinced our oil caps only say 5w-20 so that ford could escape the gas guzzler tax. Could be placebo, but I feel my car runs smoother with the thicker oil.

Users who are viewing this thread