what now!!!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
im getting a wierd noise from my car. it sounds like an old door squeeking whenever i turn the steering wheel. it did it a couple weeks ago and then went away and now its back and loud. does anybody know whats wrong?

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
im guessing it goes away when the car is all warmed up/its warm outside?

check the power steering fluid, probably just low.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i hope its just the power steering fluid. ill check it tomorrow. it happens when its cold. it seems like all kinds of stuff goes wrong with my car when its cold. thanks for the input. i feel kinda stupid now.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
it happens when its cold. it seems like all kinds of stuff goes wrong with my car when its cold. thanks for the input. i feel kinda stupid now.

That's why I put my car away when it gets cold lol, I can't deal with it. Nothing on my car works the same in the cold compared to when it's warm haha.

I was going to say steering rack bushings.. but now that I picture an old creaky door it may be a balljoint.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Tie rod end caused this on my grand am.

To narrow other stuff down, is the steering wheel any harder to turn when it does this? I assume no?

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
Get someone to turn the wheel while you listen to try and isolate the sound. Use a mechanic's stethoscope to help pinpoint it.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i have a friend thats a mechanic. im gonna try to get it on a lift and figure out whats up soon. it was nice and warm outside today and the sound is just about gone. i dont understand.

Users who are viewing this thread