What Next?

wilEcoyotE

Established Member
For my money, I'd go like this:

performance --> go to a larger lower pulley - more #'s of boost !

appearance --> billet aluminum grill and a bullit gas door

I just installed a 6# pulley and a diablo chip and I tell you there is no substitute for boost! I have the stull billet grill inserts ($180) and a bullit gas door ($90) and it's like I have a different truck it really looks different with the billet grills! Good luck w/mods.:-D

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I would do the 4# lower pulley, the electric fan kit and the high flow water pump.

Hey, wait a minute I already did.

enjoy your truck

wilEcoyotE

Established Member
FordSVTFan

I am looking at next mods myself, what difference have you seen with the electric fan and cobraR WP installed? The pump is a no brainer, at 110 bucks it is well worth just the loss in weight on the rotating assembly, not to mention the increased flow/cooling benefits. But at 455+ship, the electric fan is a considerable cost and to have the pump, you have to have an electric fan.......so.
Worth the cost/drivability/performance/etc?? your thoughts? Until summer gets here and 100+ temps, I will not really know how my L runs with the increased hp/heat I have added - but I do know that it never hurts to reduce mass on the rotating assy. Or to increase cooling capacity, which begs the question, why doesn't anyone offer/talk about a larger radiator? Anyway, I ramble.........thanks - stevet

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Re: FordSVTFan

Originally posted by wilEcoyotE
I am looking at next mods myself, what difference have you seen with the electric fan and cobraR WP installed? The pump is a no brainer, at 110 bucks it is well worth just the loss in weight on the rotating assembly, not to mention the increased flow/cooling benefits. But at 455+ship, the electric fan is a considerable cost and to have the pump, you have to have an electric fan.......so.
Worth the cost/drivability/performance/etc?? your thoughts? Until summer gets here and 100+ temps, I will not really know how my L runs with the increased hp/heat I have added - but I do know that it never hurts to reduce mass on the rotating assy. Or to increase cooling capacity, which begs the question, why doesn't anyone offer/talk about a larger radiator? Anyway, I ramble.........thanks - stevet

I think it definitely makes a difference. A lot of drag is taken off the motor by eliminating the rotating mass.

The electric fan is kickass. The old fan has about 3500 CFM , while the JDM fan has 22,000CFM. quite a difference. Plus the JDM kit has a switch for hyper cooling that bypasses the thermostat and puts the air passing through the front at a enormous increase, thus cooling rapidly, like at the track or after a bunch of passes in the high heat.

As to the cost vs performance, I feel this is a good value and it is easy to put in. If it is money issue, I might invest the cash from this into the full exhaust first. That is the next mod I am saving up for.

wilEcoyotE

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback fordsvtfan, I can appreciate the value there with the hyper-increase in airflow - 22K is huge! I am going with the water pump but may choose a less expensive fan kit. I helped my son install a kit he bought off Summit and it flows 12K and works quite well - came with a remote switch as well. It does not have the a/c relay switch that jdm sells for an additional 45 bucks, but I think it would be sufficient - and only costs 225! When I installed my jlp pulley and took off that heavey stock pulley, the cage and the adaptor piece, I dropped at least 10lbs, maybe more, and I can definitely tell - like an underdrive/power pulley set. So I am sure the reduced weight of the water pump combined with the reduced drag when removing the mech fan is even more so. Happy boosting.........:-D

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback fordsvtfan, I can appreciate the value there with the hyper-increase in airflow - 22K is huge! I am going with the water pump but may choose a less expensive fan kit. I helped my son install a kit he bought off Summit and it flows 12K and works quite well - came with a remote switch as well. It does not have the a/c relay switch that jdm sells for an additional 45 bucks, but I think it would be sufficient - and only costs 225! When I installed my jlp pulley and took off that heavey stock pulley, the cage and the adaptor piece, I dropped at least 10lbs, maybe more, and I can definitely tell - like an underdrive/power pulley set. So I am sure the reduced weight of the water pump combined with the reduced drag when removing the mech fan is even more so. Happy boosting.........:-D

But, if you do the water pump you have to do the fan, because the high flow water pump has no extension piece to drive the fan, as it does with the stock water pump.

wilEcoyotE

Established Member
Yeah - the fan kit he installed was electric as well, not mechanical.
Anyway, thanks for the input - now that I got my L up in hp, in need to start working on keeping it cool!

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Yeah - the fan kit he installed was electric as well, not mechanical.
Anyway, thanks for the input - now that I got my L up in hp, in need to start working on keeping it cool!

Enjoy and good luck with all your mods.

Users who are viewing this thread