What next for HP

marcoc

Established Member
I'm looking for some more power adders on my 99. I have OR H-pipe, cat-back, SCT tuned, JLT intake, 4.10's, and sub-frame connectors. Are MAF's, TB, or pulleys worth doing? not looking at expensive big mods like boost or cams just "bolt ons". Car pulls nice but its addicting to want more.;-)

shurur

Established Member
How much power do people usually make off pulleys? What does it do for the car?

12-15 RWHP
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/906168-dampener-pulleys.html

You can also degree your OEM cams for a little more power if they aren't making power.
mine need degreeing as I'm only making 300+ at the flywheel.
and LT/ML headers will help you to.

NA SVT is the NA guru on almost every mustang forum...and is super helpful,,,,this is what I have gleaned from his various posts..some HP ratings may be off..but I think I've got it pretty much boiled down for you..
*********from another post*******
There is a sort of order of NA mods that will emerge as you read posts.
generally

Phase 1:
degree oem cams if under 270+..or wait
ML/Lt headers..with midpipe (cat/no-cat) and mufflers being done ..or maybe "later"
March UD pulleys and damper..even alt pulley if you like
tune
then degree oem cams if under 320 after above mods..or wait

Then
phase 2:
comp cams for certain rpm operation desired..degree new cams now.
MAF/FP/injectors and NA SVT 10.5" intake short runner or shorter for certain cams/rpm operation desired.
tune again
360-370 rwhp

then
phase 3:
5.0 stoker
5.3 BB stroker
400 rwhp 400rwhp++

That's generally all the worthwhile NA HP mods.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You have pretty much hit all the seat of the pants mods already. You will probably be dissappointed with getting headers, though I do recommend them.

marcoc

Established Member
I have heard mixed reviews on pulleys. I here they eventually hurt the motor in the long run. Anyone care to shed light on this? I don't think I will go headers, for the $ i have heard they aren't a real bang for the buck, like cat-back/midpipe for example. I like the response performance motors get from cams, I did them on a previous car and even mild cams are nice, I can only imagine they would be great on the 4.6 4v especially since they like to rev.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
The pullies on the accessories are perfectly safe and free up a few HP. The underdrive dampers are a different story. They used to be of such poor quality that they failed to control harmonics to the extent that oil pumps were shattering and destroying engines. Steeda redesigned there damper to a full size unit and March filled their smaller unit with fluid. As a result there hasnt been as many oil pump failures in recent years and these newer units seem to do a better job then the older units.

The problem is neither company releases any kind of data showing how well their dampers control harmonics and although they arent grenading engines we still dont know what the long term effects are because poorly controlled harmonics manifest as rod and main bearing wear. When an engine with only 80k on the odo eats a rod bearing was it because of poorly controlled harmonics? There's no way to tell.

I run my engine hard and as such like the security of a full sized damper. They match the specifications designated by the engineers and do the job correctly. Most of the benefit of slowing accessories can be derived by replacing the accessory pullies so it's not imperative to replace the damper with a smaller diameter part.

For a little more perspective on dampers, go here.

As far as future mods, like dog said, headers are the next logical step but dont expect much with stock cams. Best bang for the buck on these engines other than off road pipe is cams. For $1200 they will pick up an extra 40+ HP and help extend the curve. Next best mod is a 10" short runner intake for 7500 RPM and under or a 5" short runner if you build the engine to spin to 8000 RPM or higher.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Cams are nice :burnout:, but they are a huge PITA to install and degree. If you can't do that yourself, expect to pay alot of money to have it done. FWIW, when I had the FR500 cams, I installed them straight up and loved the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread