What motor do I have ?!?!

03SVTFLORES

Established Member
I recently bought a 99 cobra. Sold my 03 SVT focus to get one! Now I don't understand what motor I have. The guy got it with a blown motor and put "4.6 2v SOHC block" which is said on the paper work. From my understanding that is a GT motor but my motor doesn't look like a GT motor because it has the writing on the cover that says "V8 32 valve". It has the cobra intake manifold and everything is cobra on it. The previous owner states when I asked him if it is a true cobra says " It's a real cobra. 03-04 2v cast iron block is same cast as the 03-04 4v block. It originally had an aluminum block." Now my buddy who owns a 97 cobra says it's a GT motor and that's complete bs what the guy says because the 2V is completely different than the 4V and I got a GT motor. ive had 4 mustang guys look at it and no one can decipher what motor it has being 100% at their guesses.

So I turned to the Internet. I would like to know only for building purposes. All the car has is a H pipe exauhst.

If you can give a good reason on why or why it isn't a cobra motor and tell me why I shouldn't be so sad if it's a GT motor. Thanks forum!

03SVTFLORES

Established Member
Here's a few pics

image.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I was told from someone's it's an 03-04 cobra block

Last edited:

warpd

Established Member
It could potentially be an iron block if he used a donor block from an 03-04 Cobra or GT. East way to find out is if a magnet sticks to the block it's iron. Besides that you'll need casting numbers.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
If the block is iron you probably have a gt short block with your cobra top end. Not a big deal though just start building up a teksid block with forged internals to make it back right. If it has an aluminum block then no big deal.

Last edited:

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Definitely not a 99 cobra motor. The blocks on the 99 were aluminum and the valve cover plates are silver in color. I could not see the blower pic. The motor is not a two valve GT. Depending on the blower design, it could be a Mach 1 motor (aluminum block) or a terminator motor (iron block).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Coil covers can be changed. I'm on my 3rd set. At the very least you have a Cobra top end on whatever shortblock is in there. Your best bet is going to be looking for casting numbers. Unless you want to pull the oil pan to see what rods are in there.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Agreed with everyone above. Cobra heads/intake on whatever shortblock is in there.

My guess would be the previous owner trashed the aluminum teksid block, picked up a cheaper GT short block and put the Cobra heads and intake back on it. As mentioned above, find the casting numbers or at least try a magnet on the block.

Users who are viewing this thread