What Mods on an 04 stock lightning to run 12s

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
Hello everybody i own a 04 lightning and i would like to know what are the best mods i can get on my lightning to run mid to low 12s would a 6lb pulley be good for a daily driver..

RUthLEss03

11.24@123
Established Member
I hit 12.65 with a 4#, ftvb, CAI, 2400 stall, adjustable rear shocks, slicks. I'm sure a 6# wouldn't affect daily driving at all.

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
well i want a 6lb with the LFP kit but am doing research to see whats the best upgrade for a daily driver...

castellscl

Established Member
Just go with the 6# to save money to from the start. Trust me, you'll want to upgrade to the 6# within a few months anyways.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
6lb'er is 100% fine for DD. most L owners will say start out with 6lb lower and then a stieggy port until you get bored and go built with a whipple:rockon:

sticky tires will def be required!

Last edited:

I'D WIN

Established Member
Whipple would do it with ease but it depends on how much money he wants to spend and where he wants to spend it.

A whipple will cost much more than some of the more conventional mods and may affect his spending on other mods such as tuning, traction control, tires/wheels, etc.

Ultimately, he has to decide and advise what he wants out of his truck and what his intentions are other than a 12 second daily driver.

03SNOWBALL

Established Member
6lber,nitto dr's should get you there.Friend of mine has same mods as me except for port,longtubes,Vavle body,he ran a 12.88.He has a SBTB and cnl plenum which I don't.He had no traction bars at that time either.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
6lber and drag radials.

My set up is 6lber, 2400 MAF(for safety), traction bars, nitto DR's, cai, bassani catback and magnaflow high flow cats welded in. I got the cai as well as the exhaust set up for sound.

I only went to the track once. On my 14th run(very heatsoaked) i pulled off a 12.93 with a 1.93 60'.

I daily drive mine. If you arent sure about a 6lb, ride in someone's L that has one. That did it for me.;) If you want to drive to New Orleans, ill let ya ride shotgun to see.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Here's some good reading. It doesn't answer the specific question of what mods are needed to run XX.XX times, but it may give you a better understanding of what's available in terms of mods, how they will be of benefit and what precautions may be necessary.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226842

If you go with a 6# lower you may want to seriously consider upgrading the MAF to either a DiabloSport MAFia or the SCT BA2400 or BA2600. Also, be sure to run spark plugs in the proper heat range that are gapped properly. Don't neglect fuel filter changes... personally I like to change mine with every oil change. A good tune is a must.

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
well thanks guys ill jsut add on the 6lb and a SCT MAF SBTB to my cai and bassani cat back with the custom tune i just want to run 12s i also just got some 30 by 14 slicks so ill be fine...

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
well thanks guys ill jsut add on the 6lb and a SCT MAF SBTB to my cai and bassani cat back with the custom tune i just want to run 12s i also just got some 30 by 14 slicks so ill be fine...

thats what YOU think :lol1::lol1:

12's will be fine for a very short time, then you'll want LOW 12s.......then to get into the 11's, then mid 11's.......and on and on and on :rockon:

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
those 30's are going to kill you. you shouldn't need more than a 28. a 26 would be fine for that power.

I'D WIN

Established Member
He will definitely need more power to move those 30's but 26's are way to short of a tire for his gearing. Unless your running a 99/00 with "limited" mods, then stick to the 26's, otherwise I'd go 28's all day.

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
Yeah i just got the 30s from a friend used with rims for $300 so i took em.. Just for now..
I stay in Cypress....

Users who are viewing this thread