What kind of sound does a bad TOB make?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Just curious, because lately ive noticed.. hmm its hard to describe, it's like a ticking borderling Squeak that is starting to come from the general area of my shifter.

It will make the noise when im in neutral coasting, or driving with the clutch engaged in any gear. But no noise when the clutch is pushed in, or if I put a little bit of pressure on the clutch while in gear.

Does this sound like the TOB going bad? I don't know how to describe the noise, it isnt constant, its like 'che che che che che' pretty quiet ticking which sometimes can sort of sound like a squeak. I was thinking it might just be shifter from the tri-ax but ive had it on 3k miles and just started noticing this within the last month.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Sounds like the TOB. If you can hear it in neutral and when you push the clutch in and it goes away, that is most likely it. It will chirp/squeek

03DOHC

Established Member
That would describe it and the noise will get louder the worse it gets. The retainer broke on my friends car and it sounded like he sucked a cat wearing armor plate into his blower. :)

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced46
Sounds like the TOB. If you can hear it in neutral and when you push the clutch in and it goes away, that is most likely it. It will chirp/squeek
Damnation. Oh well, maybe ford will give me a new tranny and clutch assembly :p

EatonMe

My car is making a weird fast high pitched squeaking/chirping noise. When I put my toes under the clutch, and pull up, it goes away, but if I push back down on it just a tad, it comes back.

Is this the TOB going bad? How hard of a problem is this to fix, and how much would it cost? Is it going to mess other shit up if I don't get it fixed immediately? Thanks guys.

Oh, and uhh, sorry for hijacking your thread.:(

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Joshua
My car is making a weird fast high pitched squeaking/chirping noise. When I put my toes under the clutch, and pull up, it goes away, but if I push back down on it just a tad, it comes back.

Is this the TOB going bad? How hard of a problem is this to fix, and how much would it cost? Is it going to mess other shit up if I don't get it fixed immediately? Thanks guys.

Oh, and uhh, sorry for hijacking your thread.:(
Well foird really should warranty it even if you are modded, because if it is the TOB it is a known defect. Altho they may try to be anal about it.

nuke6

Established Member
My 03' started squealing with the clutch disengaged. It went away when you released the clutch. It is currently at my nearby SVT dealer awaiting a clutch, pressure plate, TOB, and flywheel. It's been almost a week, so I hope to get it back soon.

nuke6

Established Member
Oh yeah, all warranty work, thank god! Any tips on making this new stuff last greater than 16,000 miles?

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by nuke6
Oh yeah, all warranty work, thank god! Any tips on making this new stuff last greater than 16,000 miles?
Yeah I was wondering the same because I hear about guys who have had this happen 3-4 times. Has ford even 'fixed' the problem or is it just a matter of time before it comes back.

Oh well, I hope they give me a new tranny like they did other people, I wouldnt mind getting a brand new one :)

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by DSG03Snake
Yeah I was wondering the same because I hear about guys who have had this happen 3-4 times. Has ford even 'fixed' the problem or is it just a matter of time before it comes back.

Oh well, I hope they give me a new tranny like they did other people, I wouldnt mind getting a brand new one :)
Me too. I have to bring mine in for the same thing.

Surfnerv89

Fast?... Kinda
Established Member
I have the same problem as described in the original post. I knew exactly what you were talking about when you described it, looks like I'll have ford fix it when I take it is for the tink.

torchred03

Established Member
Mine went bad and broke the input shaft sleeve. Ford replaced the tranny, entire clutch set-up, even the flywheel. All under warranty.

shub

Weirdo
Established Member
Mine is doing the squealing when the clutch is in too. But every time I take it to the shop, it stops making the noise, and they won't even look at it. It's one of those things that's keeping me from modding out my car dammit.

-Shub

Users who are viewing this thread