What kind of oil do you use?

Nhoj

Head Lackey
Established Member
Ford 5W-20 and the SVT dealer told me that 5W-20 is needed. so ok, not a problem. i have been getting 5W-20 from WAL*MART but they don't seem to stock it on a regular basis and no other store near me besides the dealer stocks 5W-20. and the dealer wants a buck fifty more a quart than WAL*MART for the same damn thing.

i want to run a full synthetic for a few reasons. and about the only full synthetic i have found that is readily availble is AMSOIL. now AMSOIL is probably teh best stuff out there but its 70 bucks for a case of it. so i was wondering if anyone had anything better that they use that is easier to get a hold of?

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Once you get to 10,000 miles switch to Mobil One 5W-30

I did and am having great luck with it, I have over 26,000 miles on my 2001.

Ford switched to 5W-20 to help raise fleet milage, 5-30 mobil one will work fine.

Nhoj

Head Lackey
Established Member
the mechanic at the dealer said that it was not the best idea to goto a 30W because the blower needs a thin oil because it spins faster than the motor. he said that the 5W-30 will work but it can shorten blower life and it may void teh warranty. the manual and the Ford service rep from corporate both say 5W-20 and do not recommend any other options. the service rep said that using 5W-30 could void the warranty too.

i know you probably think i'm being retarded but i'm gonna stick with the 5W-20.

Vito

Broken
Established Member
I got 5w30 mobile one synthetic put it in at 500 mi
when I take the L out of the stable Im gonna put in 5w20 Royal Purple :D

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Nhoj:

Your mechanic doesn't know his Lightning from a hole in the ground. The supercharger is isolated from the eng. as far as eng. oil is concerned--they do not share oil . The s/c uses a special s/c oil that is contained within the s/c--it is not eng. oil.

Most guys using a synthetic(and these guys are correct-IMHO) eng. oil will use Mobil 1(5W30), Amsoil(5W20), Redline(not sure), or Royal Purple:rolling: (#11 Racing oil[5W20]). R/P is available at Jeg's--the racin' oil is expensive--but worth it--eh, Vito? It's helped keep my daily driver(19,800 miles), 1/4 miler togeather.

Dan

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Re: Nhoj:

Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
Your mechanic doesn't know his Lightning from a hole in the ground. The supercharger is isolated from the eng. as far as eng. oil is concerned--they do not share oil . The s/c uses a special s/c oil that is contained within the s/c--it is not eng. oil.

Most guys using a synthetic(and these guys are correct-IMHO) eng. oil will use Mobil 1(5W30), Amsoil(5W20), Redline(not sure), or Royal Purple:rolling: (#11 Racing oil[5W20]). R/P is available at Jeg's--the racin' oil is expensive--but worth it--eh, Vito? It's helped keep my daily driver(19,800 miles), 1/4 miler togeather.

Dan
ID say it is :D

dboat

Established Member
I checked an Amsoil website and they suggested running their 0w30 even though they sell a 5w20 oil. They also claimed it would not void the warranty. I wrote to Mobil and they suggested their 0w30 oil and that the only reason that Ford wanted to use the 5w20 was for fuel mileage and that running the 0w30 should be fine.
Dana in Dallas
:coolman:

whip

Established Member
I'll stick with mobil1 5w30. The Ford service tech told my father he would be better off with 0w in his 302 that had a babbied 22,000mi on it. Within a couple months it developed a knock. he imidiatly took it in to be checked. Blown motor! Did they give him a short block? Nope, a "remanufactured long block" In other words, they stole his low mileage mint condition heads and hardware, and gave him a 302 that probably had a previous life in some 18 yr old punks 5.0 doing John Force burnouts on a 200,000 mile motor! Oh, and the owner of that Ford dealership, he was a good customer of ours for many years. Did he step in? Nope! After Fifty+ years of Fords in my fathers driveway, he almost, ALMOST, broke down and bought a Chevy. Not that this pisses me off or anything, I'm just talking about oil here!!!!
:cuss:

dboat

Established Member
so you really attribute the 0w30 vs the 5w30 to the blown engine? why do you think that happened? I havent heard of this before and am just kinda curios.. I will be changing the oil for the first time in my baby, and want to treat her right.. know what I mean?:coolman:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Don't have a G2 L but...
I run Amsoil in the Cobra, right now the McLaren has Mobil 1 synthetic in it, and I just changed the g/f's brother's oil in his '02 FX4 F-150 (5.4) and used regular Valvoline 5w20 in it. He wants to switch to Amsoil on the next change...

DL

Established Member
I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic since my 1,000 mile oil change.

I have 14,000 miles on the L now, Several 1/4 mile passes and a lot of Highway mileage from attending NMRA, FFW and WFC5 events. :D

John Armstrong

Established Member
Originally posted by Nhoj
the mechanic at the dealer said that it was not the best idea to goto a 30W because the blower needs a thin oil because it spins faster than the motor. he said that the 5W-30 will work but it can shorten blower life and it may void teh warranty. the manual and the Ford service rep from corporate both say 5W-20 and do not recommend any other options. the service rep said that using 5W-30 could void the warranty too.

i know you probably think i'm being retarded but i'm gonna stick with the 5W-20.

I know other comments were made about this, however I want to make a comment.......

If your dealership is so stupid and thinks the engine oil cirulates through the supercharger then I would find another dealership to take your truck to, post haste.

Also unless you put sickers all over your engine bay stating I use
synthetic motor oil they will never know the difference anyway. I don't think the dealership's have the necessary equipment to test as to whether it's synthetic or not.

I use 10-30 Mobil 1 and sometimes 15-50 Mobil 1 on my 2000 'L it get pretty hot here in Texas.

Last edited:

RUNVS?

Established Member
I run five quarts of 15/40 Lucas Oil with a quart of stabilizer and my truck purrs like a kitten. My personal opinion is that it gets too damn hot down here in Houston to be using a 20w oil. When the heat index reaches 110 and I've got the AC cranked full blast, I want something more than baby oil in the crankcase.

dboat

Established Member
Good point RUNVS.. I grew up and lived in Houston for 35 years. July, August and Sept can be pretty brutal.. I live in Dallas, which isnt much better.. I use Mobil 1 5w30.. change it every 6000 miles and use a Mobil 1 oil filter as well.. We dont need to use such a low viscosity oil in this heat.. besides they only use that oil to up the mpg for the feds..
What made you decide to go with Lucas Oil? is it a synthetic?
dboat

Tim Bindon

Established Member
Originally posted by Nhoj

"5W-30 could void the warranty..." I hope not, b/c that is what my owners manual calls for. Hmm. I use Castrol GTX 5W-30 b/c it has the lowest ash content of the conventional motor oils. I have no problems at just under 20k, then again I am running bone-ass-stock.

RUNVS?

Established Member
dboat,
The oil I use is not synthetic. I use the Lucas product line because a friend of mine is a distributor here in Houston and he cuts me a deep discount. I buy the oil, stabilizer, and fuel treatment by the gallons. Using the stabilizer, I could go up to 6,000 miles between changes, but usually change it at 4,000 anyway. Even at 4K, the oil is brown (not black) and retains it's slick/tacky texture. Amazing stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread