What kind of car should I save up for?

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
I want a Muscle car before gas runs out. I know you think I am being silly, but it will run out one day.

My goal is this: A powerful car that isn't too difficult to work on, and can really show good numbers when modified.

My top choices:

1.) Corvette

2.) Trans Am/Camaro Z28

3.) Cobra

I was wondering, out of these 3 what would be the best choice for the money? My budget is around $7000, as I would like to get a car before I get out of college. Manual is required, no auto.

I have found a Cobra in town that needs a lot of exterior work and some interior for $8950, but I am POSITIVE I can offer $6000 for all the goods (1995 5.0 Cobra w/ 105k miles).

I have yet to find any T/A or Z28 for this price.

Anyways, that is my goal.. Please give me your thoughts.. This is so hard because I love all 4 of these cars a lot and wouldn't mind owning ANY of them. I can't help it I am a GM / Ford lover... Brand bias is stupid.

Please give me your valued advice and thanks again,

John

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
For less than 7k you can find an LT1 f-body and they come with a T-56. :rockon:

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by f_rice
For less than 7k you can find an LT1 f-body and they come with a T-56. :rockon:

LT1 F-Body..

LT1 = Corvette Motor yes?

F-Body is a Z28 or Trans AM body style yes?? I know I will get bashed for this, but why are they called F-Bodies?

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
No bashing, it is just the way GM does things.

T/A=F-body
Cavalier=J body
Impala SS (94-96)= B body

Yes the LT1 was in the Corvette. I just had a 355 built last week. The LT1 is a kickass engine :rockon: Although it is not as good as the LS1, it can make some kickass power with some heads and a cam. It is also pretty damn reliable. Most go over 150k and they are pretty cheap to get built since they are very similar to the traditional Chevy 350.

Just watch out for leaky intake manifold gaskets (easy fix)
Leaky Waterpump (about $100 do it before 100k though because...

The optispark. This is the detributor replacement used on the LT1. When the water pump goes it leaks coolant onto to this and ruins it (also replace before 100k about $200)

Other than these issues an LT1/T56 is a kickass combo with tons of potential.

Any more questions just ask

Last edited:

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
No bashing, it is just the way GM does things.

T/A=F-body
Cavalier=J body
Impala SS (94-96)= B body

Yes the LT1 was in the Corvette. I just had a 355 built last week. The LT1 is a kickass engine :rockon: Although it is not as good as the LS1, it can make some kickass power with some heads and a cam. It is also pretty damn reliable. Most go over 150k and they are pretty cheap to get built since they are very similar to the traditional Chevy 350.

Just watch out for leaky intake manifold gaskets (easy fix)
Leaky Waterpump (about $100 do it before 100k though because...

The optispark. This is the detributor replacement used on the LT1. When the water pump goes it leaks coolant onto to this and ruins it (also replace before 100k about $200)

Other than these issues an LT1/T56 is a kickass combo with tons of potential.

Any more questions just ask

Well, my top F-Body choice is T/A hands down, I've wanted one since I was a child. I have 2 T/A shirts too :)

T-56 is a 6 speed I am guessing? Every motor has issues.. My 4.6 has a shitty intake manifold, and a fickety tranny if it isn't kept up.. (hence why I put in a tranny cooler and just had it flushed)

You really think I could get a good condition T/A 6 speed for under $7000? Dude, that is really psychin' me up, because T/As are beautiful cars.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Should be close on the price check Auto Trader before you get too excited.

Yes the T56 is a six speed, it is the same transmission that is in the 03-04 Cobra :rockon:

Also remember we are talking about the 93-97 T/A's not quite as beautiful as the LS1 WS6.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I think the LT-1 WS-6 T/A's look 10 times better then the LS-1's do. Just the more subtle, more aerodynamic look of them. They look like bullets.

Bad things about LT-1's. Shitty motor accessories like gaskets and stuff like that. At least from what I hear. My friend has a 400rwhp LT-1 Z-28. I like them, but like every motor (except the 5.0) they have their bad points.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Should be close on the price check Auto Trader before you get too excited.

Yes the T56 is a six speed, it is the same transmission that is in the 03-04 Cobra :rockon:

Also remember we are talking about the 93-97 T/A's not quite as beautiful as the LS1 WS6.

Dude, I think the 93-97 are flat out gorgeous too. I just freaking love T/As man. You can NOT go wrong with a T/A. The sound, the mean (agressive) look, and the T-Tops.. Total Winner. The LS1 WS6 though is one of the most impressive vehicles GM has ever produced.. So you are right about that.

Hmm GM and Ford use similar parts.. Odd. :shrug:

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
since where are talking about trans am's. i personally love the 1996 pontiac ram air firebird, from what i know they have the lt1 with what 305 hp ?. in my area they have a guy that has a black one and it totally is awesome :)

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by machncobra
since where are talking about trans am's. i personally love the 1996 pontiac ram air firebird, from what i know they have the lt1 with what 305 hp ?. in my area they have a guy that has a black one and it totally is awesome :)

Ram Air is your friend....

Anyways, I have decided on a Trans Am or Z28 (they are plentiful around here, Cobras I am afraid, are not) 6 speed with the LT1..

I don't know how long it will take me to amount the money.. Maybe a year or so.. College is coming up and that will be a total burden to the job process.

My question is about buying through private owners then. How does that work? I kind of really have no clue.. Everytime I have purchased a vehicle, it was through a dealership of some sort.

How would I go about selling my car? If I got $4000 to $5000, it would speed up me getting this car VERY quickly.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by LT1Z28
For $7k get an LT1 f-body. You can find a good one for about $4-5k with mods or stock if you like. Use the extra $2-3k for more mods :rockon:

Depends on the year for the $4 - $5k price tag dude.

All the T/As I have found around here are for $6k or $7k with a few mods here and there.. And around 93k miles.

$2-$3k for mods meaning some awesome exhaust, a good chip, and probably a few things here and there for me.

I'll kind of repeat my question about buying/selling from another person instead of a dealer.. How does that process work?

Last edited:

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
I'd watch out for earlier LT1s as far as the optishit goes. I think 95+ units are better, but they still have their problems just not as many as the 92+ ones do.

And you can pick up a decent milage 95 for about 7k. They arent as quick out of the box as the LS1 cars, but they respond just as well to mods. Just watch out, they can get pricey just as quick

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I've got one and ONLY one recommendation. Buick Grand National. Mod friendly and light on the gas (can we say 26 MPG???) :bowdown:

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I've got one and ONLY one recommendation. Buick Grand National. Mod friendly and light on the gas (can we say 26 MPG???) :bowdown:

Good suggestion, the 3.8 V6 excites me in a way that no v8 can, but I doubt he can find a nice GN for less than 7k.

LocoGT

Banned
Originally posted by Ling_650vette
I'd watch out for earlier LT1s as far as the optishit goes. I think 95+ units are better, but they still have their problems just not as many as the 92+ ones do.

And you can pick up a decent milage 95 for about 7k. They arent as quick out of the box as the LS1 cars, but they respond just as well to mods. Just watch out, they can get pricey just as quick

LT1s are cheaper to mod than LS1s.

93-04 had the non vented opti 95-97 had the vented.

non vented optis are worse than the vented :bored:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Good suggestion, the 3.8 V6 excites me in a way that no v8 can, but I doubt he can find a nice GN for less than 7k.

You're right, although if you're patient you can pick one up with low mileage for around 9K:

Click Here.

Users who are viewing this thread