What kind of advantage will a 5.0 stroker have over a 4.6?

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
I am currently in the market for a new shortblock for my '03. What kind of horsepower advantage (or any other for that matter) will a 5.0 stroker have over a comprably equipped 4.6?

Steve

Juiced-03

Established Member
It's really not going to make a huge difference until you start feeding it more boost/spray. If you are only running a ported Eaton or small amount of boost with a twin screw (17 psi or less), I'd pass on the extra costs of the stroker. You just won't see much gain. But if you plan on a lot of boost and/or nitrous (or turbo) I'd definitely go for it. What are your plans?

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
More low end torque, but is very beneficial if you plan on upping the boost later on. I'm building a stroked shortblock right now for bigger plans in the future....I figure I might as well while it's out of the car......

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
It will be a fairly conservative eaton car (no pulley, but port and all the other bolt ons) with plans for a big wet shot once the engine is broken in.

BLK03SVT I see youre in phx too, Im on the east side- we should cruise our black 03s once we get these new shortblocks

BLK03SVT

Mike
Established Member
Absolutely.....I hope to have mine done soon. Everything is being assembled right now. Looks like we have similar goals....

Oh and I'm a big guy and it's a vert....so I'm a tad bit on the heavy side...LOL

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
You just need to remember that as long as you use the same design piston (i.e. same cc's dish, etc) and the heads remain the same, any increase in bore or stroke raises the compression ratio. If nothing else, I would have the tune checked for that. It may not be enough to matter...but I would want to know.

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
BLK03SVT said:
Absolutely.....I hope to have mine done soon. Everything is being assembled right now. Looks like we have similar goals....

Oh and I'm a big guy and it's a vert....so I'm a tad bit on the heavy side...LOL

Hah, ya you'll still have me beat... Im going to be running a *stock* pulley with a steig port.... Trying to make this thing SAFE this time- hell its been over a year since it even ran

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Check with a reputable builder, but I believe you will find strokers make more torque and have a broader torque band, but spin a little more dangerously because there is more travel.
I believe a stroker motor compared to a big bore motor of the same compression, and same displacement will have a fatter band... but the big bore will be a little safer, and potentially run higher RPM, thus the potential for more horsepower than a stroker... which would cut off sooner... I suppose that being the big bore has enough support from good heads, and intake... that it can continue to rev out some power, and not just peak out early.
Stroking or not stroking... I guess its up to you. If your not pushing for super high output, its a flip of a coin. Your call... wider power band, more money, potential for problems...

I think what alot of these guys are saying is applicable to a big bore motor... but they are not considering that a stroker actually changed the leverage of the crank, and how it drives the rod... which is what causes the torque to change, thus widens the power band. Again... talk to an experienced builder.

Users who are viewing this thread