What is your opinion of the beef industry?

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
If you knew the cruelty & suffering to which "organic" beef is subject, you would think differently. Mother nature can be a very cruel business partner & organic beef is at the mercy for all of it. Next time you purchase an organic cut, think about the animals that suffered or died unnecessarily because this market niche requires even the simplest of preventative medication be withheld. We semi-annually 'deworm' our animals with a product called ivermectin. It is used the world over as a mass anti-parasitic........IN PEOPLE. Its benefits are shown for a multitude of mammalian species, cattle being one obviously. It inhibits the life cycle of worms, mites, lice, & grubs in cattle allowing them to live a healthier & more comfortable life. This is one very elementary example of the benefits of implementing technology into beef production & there are dozens more just like it.

Your fearful example of carbon-monoxide packaged beef is just as misinformed. The FDA maximum allowed ppm for CO packed beef is 0.4% or 4000 parts per million. This is touted as an OMG factor for the hippies (not implying you are one) because the vast majority of people never look deeper into an issue. The truth here is the average air in your (or any) major city contains 1.4% to 1.8% carbon monoxide. So, if you're scared of the benefits CO treatment offers for the shelf life of beef products, you had better find a way to stop breathing too because you inhale 4 to 5 times that amount of carbon monoxide with every breath.

BTW, cook your ground beef to a core temperature of at least 160*F for 15 seconds & your family will enjoy all the benefits beef has to offer...except e. coli which cannot live at that temperature or higher. But since you seem well versed in what e. coli is & is not, I'm sure you already knew that as well as knew that every fruit & vegetable you bring in your home needs to be scrubbed & soaked in chlorinated water for at least 15 minutes to kill most of the bacteria it contains.

Fear tactics in food blind people to the real issues as well as very simple solutions.

The primary concern in my last post was centered on the UDSA's lack of oversight of the slaughterhouses and grinders and the fact that every year in the US people are sickened by E. coli contamination in primarily ground beef products. I find your defensive tone interesting, particularly your assumption that if someone chooses to not get onboard with the "Big Beef" industry and their CAFO practices, they are somehow a "hippy". I'm not a hippy, but I am in the foodservice industry and my wife is a professional chef, combined we have over 45 years of experience in foodservice; we share a love of food and our education about food and our industry is a continual process, we aren't getting our information from Time, Vanity Fair or Mother Jones.

Let me break down a few things you posted:

"Next time you purchase an organic cut, think about the animals that suffered or died unnecessarily because this market niche requires even the simplest of preventative medication be withheld."

This assumption is false, medication can be given to orgaically raised cattle and it can still be certified as organic, once administered, the animal cannot go to slaughter for 6 months to allow the medication to work it's way out of the animals system.

"..if you're scared of the benefits CO treatment offers for the shelf life of beef products, you had better find a way to stop breathing too because you inhale 4 to 5 times that amount of carbon monoxide with every breath."

Like most of us, outside of choosing where we live, we have little control over the air that we breathe, but we can choose what we eat. I understand that CO gassed beef looks nicer longer, please tell me the benifit this is for the consumer? Here's a great question, you have two packages of ground beef, one was ground 3 days ago and the other was ground 3 weeks ago, they were both gassed with CO so the 3 week old package looks as fresh as the 3 day old package, noting the package dates of each, which package are you going to buy? So tell me again the benifit of CO gassed beef for the consumer?

And don't think I didn't notice that you didn't make note of the ammoniated beef destined to be ground that I mentioned in my last post. Why are slaughterhouses and grinders doing this? For the safety of the consumer or to mitigate their losses? I would hope that it's for both reasons, but I suspect the later to be their primary concern, they are in business to make money afterall and lawsuits do cost money. Personally, I prefer to keep my ammonia ingestion to a minimum, how about you?

"...every fruit & vegetable you bring in your home needs to be scrubbed & soaked in chlorinated water for at least 15 minutes to kill most of the bacteria it contains."

Interesting that you mention this, it allows me to point out another failing of the USDA. Up until the September of 2007, raw almonds were allowed to be sold throughout the US, but earlier in 2007 several people around the US became ill and the cause was tracked back to contaminated almonds. The USDA traced the contamination back to the producers and inadequate cleaning practices of their machinery causing the almonds to be contaminated with Salmonella. The USDA's solution, fumigate all almonds with propylene oxide; classified by the EPA as a "probable" human carcinogen, propylene oxide is banned from use in the European Union, Mexico and Canada, it was once used as a race gas additive but since has been banned by the NHRA as too dangerous to handle. Yet, the USDA mandated it's use to fumigate almonds as a way to cut down on contamination, instead of mandating stricter cleaning practices by the producers and doing the inspections to make sure the producers are cleaning their machinery, they allow the comsumer to ingest a "probable" carcinogen and former fuel additive.

I'm really not surprised by the lack of oversight of the food industry by the USDA, they are understaffed and under prioritized and Big Agra and Big Meat corporations pay our elected representatives and their Washington lobbyists to keep them that way. The current head of the USDA, Tom Valsach, was a former schill for agribusiness biotech giants like Monsanto, further exasperating the USDA's "bought and paid for" image, some real "Hope & Change" there...

Last edited:

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
The USDA's solution, fumigate all almonds with propylene oxide; it was once used as a race gas additive but since has been banned by the NHRA as too dangerous to handle.

Hell yes I'm eatin more almonds now. HORSEPOWER!!!!!! :burnout:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'm with WP64 on this one.

I try to stick with veg/produce from locally grown farmers and meat that's Grass-fed & organic from local ranchers. I'm against Monsanto, CONAGRA, etc.

For a website full of conservatives that want a smaller govt with less regulation, you don't seem to care that only a couple very large corporations control the majority of the food we eat.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
steak.jpg

look what you bastards made me do!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
beef is good, VERY good.. but I'll still take venison over beef any day..

oh, you can have your fruits and nuts.. thank you kindly..

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
My classic answer to the Vegans and PITA types are that cattle cause hydrocarbon emissions, so I do my part to reduce the herd - one cow at a time.

Frankly, I love beef, and have nothing but good opinions about the beef industry, and farmers / cattlemen in general. Salt of the earth.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
First, interesting post. One of the things we all enjoy about our SVT site is the amount of diversity you have overall.

Next, while I'm not at all into the biz end cattle I'm certainly a huge fan of all that cattle helps us with. (dairy, beef, etc)

It's been very iteresting to see the prices go up as much as they have over the past year or so and I do think it's been a bit of a blow to that specific industry.

I kinda look at beef the same way I do at hybrid/electric vehicles; there may be better alternatives but there is an extremely large % of the population that will stay with what they know and love.

And to that point, I love me some beef as well as an internal combustion engine !

BTW, great luck to your family and may you all enjoy 4 more generations of success!

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
Personally..... I don't eat anything that has eyes.

Thanks for plucking them out.

I love a nicely marbled ribeye. Now I'm jonesin' thanks to this thread.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I eat and enjoy certified organic beef bought directly from these guys Certified Organic Beef Supplier California Steaks, Grass fed Beef, Order Premium Organic Beef Steak Recipe, Grassfed Beef Producer - Home

With that said, I'm pretty much done eating ground beef, especially fast food ground beef, I just can't stomach the thought of eating ammoniated and carbon monoxide gassed ground beef and IMO, there is a huge problem in the US beef industry surrounding E. coli contaminated ground beef and the USDA is failing us all with their lack of oversight and testing requirements from the slaughterhouses to the grinders.

Meat companies and grocers have been barred from selling ground beef tainted by the virulent strain of E. coli known as O157:H7 since 1994, after an outbreak at Jack in the Box restaurants left four children dead. Yet tens of thousands of people are still sickened annually by this pathogen with ground beef being the biggest culprit. Ground beef has been blamed for 16 outbreaks in the last three years alone; this last summer, contamination led to the recall of beef from nearly 3,000 grocers in 41 states.

If you don't think there is a problem consider this, ground beef is usually not simply a chunk of meat run through a grinder. Instead, a single portion of ground beef is often an amalgam of various grades of meat from different parts of cows and even from different slaughterhouses, some even from outside the US. These cuts of meat are particularly vulnerable to E. coli contamination. Despite this, there is no federal requirement for grinders to test their ingredients for the E.coli pathogen and unwritten agreements between some companies appear to stand in the way of ingredient testing. Many big slaughterhouses will sell only to grinders who agree not to test their shipments for E. coli; slaughterhouses fear that one grinder’s discovery of E. coli will set off a recall of ingredients they sold to others.

Until the USDA steps-up their oversight of the slaughterhouses and grinders in regards to testing for E. coli contaminated ground beef before it gets to the public, my family and I are staying away from ground beef and encourging others to do the same.

EDIT: Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, understand that I have no problem with the cattle ranchers, it's the USDA and their lack of oversight and testing requirements of the slaughterhouses and grinders that I have a problem with.

if your ever in the Pacific Northwest and want a good hamburger, go to Burgerville.. they only get their beef from Country Natural Beef, a rancher lead Co-Op.. here's a bit from their FAQ..

Q. How about hormones, antibiotics, vegetarian feeds and the use of GMO’s (genetically modified feeds)?
A. Since our ranchers own their beef to retail, following a strict protocol to assure our federally approved label claims on never using hormones or antibiotics is critical to our program. Likewise, we feed an all vegetarian ration and never use feed additive antibiotics which includes never using ionophores. Any animal that requires antibiotic treatment is identified and sold through traditional channels. For many years we made every effort to avoid the use of GMO feeds, but science got ahead of nature on this technology. Cross pollination is now such a reality that makes it an impossible task now.

Q. With all this documentation why don’t you go an additional step and obtain organic certification?
A. Our ranchers combined operate on over 6.5 million acres. It is virtually impossible to certify that much acreage, particularly when many of our family ranches cattle spend part of the year on a public lands (Forest Service or Bureau of Land Mgt.) grazing permit. These agencies no longer do widespread spraying, but do occasionally spray noxious weeds along the unfenced roadways in the grazing allotments. Additionally, it is sometimes in the best interest of our animals to control ‘sticker weeds’, such as cockleburs in our hay that will be fed in the winter. Those are just a couple of examples that make it an impractical goal for most of our ranches.

Q. Is the beef USDA Graded?
A. Yes...Our marbling goal (internal fat flecks in the meat) is driven by consideration for the health of the animal, the eating satisfaction from the beef produced, and the health benefits from that meal. For those reasons, we only use carcasses that grade High Select or Choice.

Q. Is it grass fed?
A. Most of our cattle are pasture and range raised for approximately 14-18 months. To assure a year around supply, some ranchers use winter growing lots where the cattle are fed a high roughage ration based on silages and hay. Then, for approximately the last three months, the diet is a ration of cooked potatoes, hay, corn and a vitamin mineral supplement. To ensure a consistent year around supply of quality cattle, all of our cattle go through the Beef Northwest feedlot, (owned by a member ranch) on their way to AB Foods.

Q. Where does your beef come from?
A. It is raised from birth on the family ranches of the Country Natural Beef cooperative. Most of the ranches are located in Oregon; Washington, California, Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas , Montana, Arizona and Hawaii are also represented.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
If you knew the cruelty & suffering to which "organic" beef is subject, you would think differently. Mother nature can be a very cruel business partner & organic beef is at the mercy for all of it. Next time you purchase an organic cut, think about the animals that suffered or died unnecessarily because this market niche requires even the simplest of preventative medication be withheld.
Your fearful example of carbon-monoxide packaged beef is just as misinformed. The FDA maximum allowed ppm for CO packed beef is 0.4% or 4000 parts per million. This is touted as an OMG factor for the hippies (not implying you are one) because the vast majority of people never look deeper into an issue. The truth here is the average air in your (or any) major city contains 1.4% to 1.8% carbon monoxide. So, if you're scared of the benefits CO treatment offers for the shelf life of beef products, you had better find a way to stop breathing too because you inhale 4 to 5 times that amount of carbon monoxide with every breath.

I disagree with you on the two above statements. We remove any animal from the herd that needs medication and sell it on the standard market. I also don't want CO in anything I eat nor do I want it irradiated. I have seen the good and the bad in the business. I am currently in the retail end. I have seen over crowded feed lots with steer covered in crap. The USDA need to do more. I beleive in raising animals the "natural" way....no steroids or antibiotics unless needed. All meat should not be able to be labeled all natural...their needs to be some stricter standards along with organic labeling. I am currently the manager at a shop that had people that got sick from e-coli in the last two years. The company used a "problem" slaughter house for 2 weeks (behind our backs) while changing hands in ownership and my company lost our customers trust + millions of dollars. The animals are grown for food consumption but you still should keep it healthy + clean and have compassion standards. Non stressed animals give a better product in the end. Some of our standards:
Cattle/Buffalo
•No antibiotics — ever
•No supplemental growth hormones
•No animal byproducts in feed
•Range raised for at least 2/3 of the animal's life
Veal Calves
•No antibiotics — ever
•Group housing only, no tethering or individual crates
•No animal byproducts in feed other than cow's milk
•Unlimited access to grain
Pigs
•No antibiotics — ever
•No gestation crates
•Sows provided freedom of movement in farrowing (birthing) pens
•Bedding required to satisfy natural rooting instincts
Lamb
•No antibiotics — ever
•Pasture raised
Poultry
•No antibiotics — ever
•No beak trimming for broiler chickens and game hens
•Appropriate beak trimming for turkeys allowed when necessary*
•Appropriate litter provided for comfort and to satisfy natural foraging instincts
Note: Federal law does not allow the use of supplemental growth hormones in any poultry or pigs sold in the United States.

* We allow the performance of physical alterations only when the overall physical and psychological welfare of the flock or herd would be benefited to prevent possible injury and only when conducted by a trained operator in an appropriate manner that minimizes any discomfort.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
Note: Federal law does not allow the use of supplemental growth hormones in any poultry or pigs sold in the United States.

Yeah right how do they explain young teenagers with huge tits these days?

I guess they only allow growth hormones in cattle, vegetables, fruits and seafood?

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
As long as I get my red meat I dont give a damn how the "animal" is treated.

In domesticated food animals, stress can affect meat quality, milk production, and general health. But animal stress must often be intuited from clues such as lower-than-anticipated weights and increased illness.
Stress causes several undesirable effects, including slow animal growth and lowered immune response. Farmers often use small amounts of antibiotics to avert these effects. But sustained dosing can accelerate development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which may go on to infect humans.

PS...do you really want your animals covered in crap when it's being slaughtered?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread