what is wrong with my cobra?????

venom04svt

Established Member
Well to start off I'm deployed to Afghanistan so my cobra is garaged at home till I get back..its been there since April. I knew it was gonna be setting and only started ever once in a while since i'm gone so i added some fuel stablizer to the fuel. No problems the first few times it was started, till this past time. Its sat for about a month and a half without being started till this past weekend. It fired up right away but runs like total shit...won't idle, bellowing black smoke...that turns to blue then back to black..you can tell its skipping horrendously doesn't want to tack up..you can hear it clean out a lil likes its super flooding or something...I'm tryin to upload a vid of it that was sent to me. Could the fuel stabilzer be causing this? its a 110 race fuel in it with the race tune still uploaded. The battery went dead while its been sitting..could it have dumped the tune? I hardly believe it could have did that? could the plugs have fouled? I have no clue whats causing this...

[ame=http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/blk04svtcobra/?action=view&current=100_0867.flv]
th_100_0867.jpg
[/ame]

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
OMG turn your speakers down everyone lol that puppy is loud !!

looks like it's dumping a ton of fuel to me. Bright side is it should help your local mosquito problem though :)

good luck getting it straightened out I'm betting it's nothing to major since it does start and run. I just wonder what the battery dying and sitting for awhile has to do with it ????

Last edited:

built97cobra

It's stock
Established Member
I have been told that race gas is only good for a month.... Wether that is true or not I dont know cause I dont use it

Mike-E

Livin
Established Member
I know that with my R/T Dakota after it sets a while and the battery goes dead it starts and runs like that after I jump start it. All I do is disconnect the battery and let the computer reset it self and it runs fine.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
That thing is cammed out! haha, check to see if it has any codes.

venom04svt

Established Member
it was worse than that..at first it wouldn't even idle...there no engine codes being thrown... I am gonna have the computer dumped and reload the tune with the xcal3...

twhitey

Established Member
I would empty the tank and try to store it with 93 and an additive if you can guaranty it will be started monthly. If you cant I would follow a winter storage protocol from someone up north.

DonaldTaco

Look! Its Unicron!!!!!
Established Member
Well to start off I'm deployed to Afghanistan so my cobra is garaged at home till I get back..its been there since April. I knew it was gonna be setting and only started ever once in a while since i'm gone so i added some fuel stablizer to the fuel. No problems the first few times it was started, till this past time. Its sat for about a month and a half without being started till this past weekend. It fired up right away but runs like total shit...won't idle, bellowing black smoke...that turns to blue then back to black..you can tell its skipping horrendously doesn't want to tack up..you can hear it clean out a lil likes its super flooding or something...I'm tryin to upload a vid of it that was sent to me. Could the fuel stabilzer be causing this? its a 110 race fuel in it with the race tune still uploaded. The battery went dead while its been sitting..could it have dumped the tune? I hardly believe it could have did that? could the plugs have fouled? I have no clue whats causing this...

th_100_0867.jpg

bad FRPS or injector stuck open?

Any check engine codes?

I don't know squat, but about 5 weeks ago my FRPS went bad on my Cobra. It did almost the EXACT same thing your car is doing except my car wouldn't start at all. Towed it to Ford, they put on the new FRPS, and the car still would'nt start. The tech turned, and turned the ignition; this process went on for about a minute while smoke (like yours) poured out of the exhaust. When it eventually turned over, my car idled roughly like yours. He mashed the gas until the car started idling properly.

I'm with "blown302stng", it sounds like your FRPS.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Wouldn't he get a CEL for that though? I know I did. As they said though, your car will run like total crap if it does go and will not want to idle for nothing.

DonaldTaco

Look! Its Unicron!!!!!
Established Member
Wouldn't he get a CEL for that though? I know I did. As they said though, your car will run like total crap if it does go and will not want to idle for nothing.

What's funny "04SilverSerpent" is that my car actually started with the bad sensor before I towed it to Ford. When it turned over, the CEL light didn't alluminate at all. The car ran fine, 30 - 40 seconds later it cut off. Its not until after the new FRPS was installed by Ford did the CEL light alluminate. The tech just disconnected the battery for a minute, and the CEL was gone.

Just for some context on my problem; my friends Cobra would'nt start. He (CAR) exhibited the same symptom as the OP, except it would'nt start at all. He took the FRPS off of my car (forgot about the fuel pressure and gas shot like 6ft in the air), and put it on his. The car still didn't start. Go figure, we put the sensor back on my car and it wouldn't start either. We let it sit, tried again. Like I mentioned above, it turned over for a few and then cut off. That's when I towed it to Ford.

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
You sure no1 has been driving it and messed something up?? Just from sitting and if its still being cranked wont really cause all that. I've had race fuel in a car 3 years and it cranked up and ran fine after bout 30 minutes of running it... Usually the tune doesn't delete just fromt the battery dying. Just reprogram it and let us know what it does..

tobynt

Established Member
Mine is running just like that. I am suspecting a shorted out FRPS or a bad injector. What was it that fixed your issue?

Users who are viewing this thread