What is this...Russia?

wheelhopper

Established Member
I am tired of our politicians and leaders being up bunch of wimps. I feel bad about those who live in Montgomery County and are now having your school calendar stripped of traditional American holidays because of the influx of a different culture, specifically the Muslims in this case. Other cultures have established themselves in the U.S. and been able to practice their culture without eliminating traditions and practices of the establishing culture for ages. Next thing is your local government won't be allowed to decorate for the holidays. What's next we have to dismantle the Statue of Liberty because it insinuates that those immigrating to the U.S. are hungry, tired, or poor and it hurts their feelings.

Just had to get that off my chest. Done ranting for now. Love to hear from those who agree or feel like I am off my rocker on this one.

steeltoe

Established Member
The only Muslim holiday I can think of off the top of my head that would directly impact a school day is Ramadan and iirc its between the end of August and October. It moves from year to to year.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
There's one big problem with your argument though. These Muslims were not petitioning to have the traditional Christmas and Jewish holidays taken off the calender, they were asking if their day could be added. But rather than do that, the school board decided to eliminate all of the Christmas type holidays.

I'm not a liberal or a Muslim sympathizer, but it seems like a big over reaction to me.

Btw, the kids still get the days off.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
There are more religions then there are days of school per year. Even if they go year round, they would never hit them all. Why have school at all at that point. I'm shocked MoCo even entertained this issue.

007snake

mechanical music
Established Member
It was a big over reaction that was politically motivated, as said. Our country is slowly loosing all of the traditions and values that made people want to move here. We need a leader that is pro American and not ashamed of it and that will help set the proper tone. I do not consider myself religious but believe you cannot take it out of the schools without leaving behind a huge vacuum. Children will follow other groups because they are more prevalent. We need to get rid of the career politicians and bring in people that are not afraid to stick up for American values!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread