What is this noise???

wildmantttt

Designated Driver
Established Member
Hello all,

I have recently purchased my first Mustang. It is a 97 Cobra basically stock except for an eibach suspension and flow master exhaust. Recently I noticed a noise comming from the back of the car. I am having problems finding the cause and I am hoping someone has had a simmilar problem and solution.

Here are the symptoms...
1. From a stop and accelerating through first, second and third (starting to hear in fourth now) there is a loud clunk comming from the back of the car. It is not noticable when you accelerate only when you shift the car (seems like when the weight shifts or tension is released off the rear suspension).
2. when driving in second gear if I accelerate slightly then let off you can hear a clunk from the rear of the car.
3. Sounds as if there is something hitting the body of the car.
4. some times if I hit a bump just right you can hear a noise that is simmilar.

What I have found....
1. I tore the rear end apart and found on the right rear axle there is a slight movement (up and down). however this was very small almost not noticable but it had more play than the left side.
2. the clutch disks inside the limited slip seemed to be damaged. It is the factory limited slip and the tabs on the clutch disks are slightly bent. The limited slip still works great and has no problem locking both rear tires. (I don't think the noise would be comming from here because it seems to be too loud).
3. On the rear axle next to the shock mount there is a damper assembly. I can't tell for sure but it looks as if it has in the past or still does hit the shock. (only part that I can see any possible contact)
4. I have looked at the exhaust, transmision mount, ect and don't see anything that looks as if it is rubbing (most still have dirt, ect). The bushings on the four link look weathered but not torn or loose in any way.

Here are my questions...
1. Is it possible for my rear axle to be moving enough for that damper to hit the shock?
2. Could my rear axle be out of square causing the axle to move?
3. If one of the above could be happening then, what parts should I start to look at replacing (control arms, bushings)?
4. Finaly if you don't think the damper could hit the shock and that it is caused by the rear diff (axle bearings, limited slip). what should I look to replace?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks and sorry this is so long I just can't seem to locate the exact problem and would like to not just start throwing money at it.:beer:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The rear end could be making the clunking noise or your u-joints are worn. Our cars are 12 years old and weather/mileage and age are taking it's toll on rubber parts. Look at the bushing in your upper and lower control arms while you are under the car.

96 chris

Established Member
sounds like u joint to me too, I have a bit of pinion slop in my car too at the moment, which will be remedied in the spring with an aluminum driveshaft.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
might be stupid...but maybe your spare tire compartment? I know I had some noise in there when I had a lose wrench down there or something...I would just check and make sure nothing is moving around there that could be making a noise like that

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'd start with the U-Joints. Jack it up & use your jack-stands, crawl under and rotate the driveshaft back and forth quickly (in neutral) and see if the sound is there ... or any movement in the U-joint.

If that's it, here is a LINK that will help you replace the U-joints, if you do it yourself:

http://www.walters-online.com/ujoint.htm

Last edited:

wildmantttt

Designated Driver
Established Member
Thanks for the input.

I did check the the U-joints when I tore apart the rear diff. (I pulled driveshaft off car during tear down). The joints were still tight and moved freely. I also check for slop on the pinion and could not feel any (however, I don't have a dial indicator to be more accurate).

I did not think about the spare tire compartment, I will be checking that tonight.

by the way what should I check in the rear end to see if it is bad? When I tore it down last time I checked the axel bearings, pinion, spider gears (slightly scored), ring gear and carrier bearings. Like I said I don't have a dial indicator to be more accurate but every thing felt tight except for the right rear axel bearing (just a slight amount of play almost not noticable). I have noticed a slight inward and outward movement on the rear axles but for me that seems to be normal for the "c" clip design. Should I purchase a Dial indicator or some other tools to properly check the bearings? How much should I expect to pay to have someone R&R the rear diff. Is it possible to do myself (I have some experiance with diff. R&R but mainly for trucks and it was almost 10 years ago)?

thanks for your time:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread