What is this noise?

BLK03SVT24

Established Member
My fear is the blower but I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from as it acts up when it wants to. I replaced the stock idlers with billetflows a little over a year ago and none of them are loose.
Blower has never been removed or pullied. Has anyone had or heard of this issue?

Engine noise

SLO_SHO

Established Member
Sounds like the coupler or bearing inside the Blower took a poop. You'll need to take the snout off to inspect.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How many miles on the car? I would do what @Bullitt1448 suggests first. Remove the belt and see if the noise remains. If it does, my advice would be to buy an inexpensive auto stethoscope with a metal probe. This is a great tool to isolate where a noise is coming from. It's also great for isolating bad alternator bearings, bad water pump, etc. To me, it sounds like a supercharger bearing issue.

Here's a video of a Hellcat blower with a "similar" noise. It had a bearing issue.

BLK03SVT24

Established Member
If you run it without the belt on does the noise go away?
Have not tried that yet. Will tackle it this weekend.
How many miles on the car? I would do what @Bullitt1448 suggests first. Remove the belt and see if the noise remains. If it does, my advice would be to buy an inexpensive auto stethoscope with a metal probe. This is a great tool to isolate where a noise is coming from. It's also great for isolating bad alternator bearings, bad water pump, etc. To me, it sounds like a supercharger bearing issue.

Here's a video of a Hellcat blower with a "similar" noise. It had a bearing issue.
Roughly 71k and some change. I'll have to pick up a stethoscope but it does sound similar to that hellcat.

If it does end up being the bearing can I replace it without removing the blower and just taking the snout off?

Users who are viewing this thread