what is this brace?

Riskeman

Established Member
While doing a clutch job I noticed this brace on the chasis is bent up and is actually hitting my bell housing.

Here is the best picture off the web I could find...

138_0303_09z2003_ford_mustang_cobra.jpg

I need a new one or to some how try to staighten this one but if I bend on it I'm sure it will be hard to get it back to an in-spec length.
My question is what is this brace called? Is there an aftermarket brace available? If I get a k member brace will it replace this one?

Thanks!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
That is your G load brace.

Buy a new one and make sure it attaches at 4 points rather than the 2.
MM and Steeda sell them.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
yes,all v8's have them. dont remember if the verts had them, i think mine has one, cant remember, but mine also has the vert brace, since it is a vert..lol

Riskeman

Established Member
Sorry I'm still confused. Will the MM 4pt "K member" brace replace my bent "G load" brace, or do they go in different places.

To put it another way, should I buy the 4pt K member brace, remove my g-load brace, and in it's place install the 4pt K member brace?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm having a difficult time picturing the aftermarket braces in the same place as the original.

1996stang

Established Member
Yes the 4 point goes in place of your g-load brace. I have had one laying on the shelf for over a year and never put it on :nonono:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Basicly it keeps the K member from flexing under load. You can go without it if your more into drag and straight line. It mostly helps with cornering and side to side load on the K member and front suspension.

I loved the 6pt because it not only did that but tied into the chassis also. Stiffend up the car a lot. but it also added weight. lol

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
thanks scotty, i was having a moment there...lol.

and adding to stampede's weight comment, the vert brace also hangs down a lil bit, making it fun on gravel driveways, and etc. mine loves to scrape anything since its lowered

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
I had to keep mmine off the car after i put my QA1 k-member on. The car doesn't seem to handle that well, but i think it is more because of the 175 coilovers and the rest of the drag suspension...:D

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
and adding to stampede's weight comment, the vert brace also hangs down a lil bit, making it fun on gravel driveways, and etc. mine loves to scrape anything since its lowered

Yep but it is built pretty tough. I'd rather scrape it than the bottm of the car, k member or other parts.

It was a great mod for a coupe. If it stiffens a vert just imaging on a coupe.

Users who are viewing this thread