What is the worst beater you ever had

nxhappy

Established Member
Dodge Omni that ran for a day.

Bought it for $300, transferred plates, drove with a friend to KMart.

Upon exiting parking lot, friend challenges me to bump a cart with my 'new' car. I hit it at 25mph, I thought it was plastic. It was steel.

Headlight grill and windshield broke, lost all electrical in the car. Had it towed home where it sat for two months before my dad said enough.
lmao what year was this

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
'90 Ford tempo. Everything either rusted or broke on the damn car. Our extended family owned 3 tempos at one time. I replaced shocks/struts/brakes/exhaust and a ton of other maintenance stuff all well before 50k miles. Even brand new, the car could not hit 80mph.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
'90 Ford tempo. Everything either rusted or broke on the damn car. Our extended family owned 3 tempos at one time. I replaced shocks/struts/brakes/exhaust and a ton of other maintenance stuff all well before 50k miles. Even brand new, the car could not hit 80mph.

80mph + wasn't that car's Tempo... :D

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Hey, makes me feel better about mine knowing I wasn't the only one who couldn't make it up a hill! Haha

Mine couldn't even power itself to redline. No joke, I could leave it in 1st and it would float around 4k. The only good thing about the car was that the previous owner had left the plastic on the entire interior. The interior looked fresh as factory- had I been smarter and thought ahead, I could have tore the interior out and sold it like you did.

I've had 4, so I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Worst one, I moved out of state and left it at my parents. I told them to sell it. Before leaving, it had been spitting trans fluid at highway speed, and sometimes slipping. They threw an ad on craigslist. The parents of a 16 year old pregnant girl bought it for $600 because, "her boyfriend is a mechanic, he can fix anything."

CV355

_
Established Member
I've had 4, so I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Worst one, I moved out of state and left it at my parents. I told them to sell it. Before leaving, it had been spitting trans fluid at highway speed, and sometimes slipping. They threw an ad on craigslist. The parents of a 16 year old pregnant girl bought it for $600 because, "her boyfriend is a mechanic, he can fix anything."

I just can't believe that someone or some people at Ford slapped one of those things together and went "yeah, this is good."

True Death: 56 Horsepower of maximum performance droning through the night

Hybbs

Established Member
1981 Toyota Corona. Bought it from my dad for 1200$. A fine example of a New York rust belt car. It had the 22R motor in it so it ran great. Drove it down to Florida in 1994 and drove it for a couple of years before selling it to a guy in my squadron for 500 bucks.

BladeX10

Established Member
1990 Ford Tempo. Paid $400 for it. Dookie brown with half the paint falling off. Leaked oil from just about very seal in the engine bay, CV axles were toast, 3 speed automatic trans that would be screaming at like 3k rpms at 65 mph. Muffler rotted off so i drove around mufflerless for awhile. No AC so i was dying in 100 degree heat in the summer. Drove it for 30K miles and sold it for $500 bucks. Love it.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Worst car I ever owned, but at the time I didn't think it was a beater. 1992 olds cutlass convertible. Plastic piece of shit. Everything in the interior fell apart. Outside door handles would break all the time. Gages were never accurate, until the intake gaskets went out and dumped the coolant into the crankcase, then it was hot! Put gaskets in it, happened again. Turns out the lower intake was warped. The second time it left me stranded, it wasn't on the road for 2 hrs. the local p.d. had it towed.
Ignition modules. The lame rear calipers.
The last straw was the timing chain guide fell apart, wedged itself in the chain and broke it. Would have gladly taken a bicycle on trade for that damn car.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
First truck. 1981 Ford F150 that was sky blue with a ton of rust. Bought for 500$ in 1996 and spent 300$ on my dad and brother rebuilding the 302. The truck wasn’t reliable enough to leave my town. I started to repaint it and the front end was primer grey when i got rid of it. We cut off the cats and ran glasspacks on it with 3” tips coming out each side. Truck was LOUD and I loved it. Drove for 2 years and sold for a grand.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My last civic was POS! Come to think of it, now that it's gone and totaled, I need to run the VIN, as I feel the mileage I was told was probably false. Swapping a speedo is a 10 minute job.

Anyway, it developed a NASTY belt squeal. I long hated the car so **** YOU car, I'm not giving you another dime. It was only at startup and sometimes at red lights. After multiple weeks, probably even a few months, I was driving to work and it started to almost stutter on the highway. Like if the car's power was a light switch, and some small child was trying to piss off everyone in the room but randomly turning the lights on the off. I assumed the trans was taking a shit but kept on driving, **** it! AFter 2-3 days of this, only at 65-70mph, it finally died at highway speeds. Hit the shoulder, it started up and I drove off. This happened like 4 times in 3 drives. The last time it took like 30 seconds of cranking before starting. I got home and started laughing as it suddenly hitting me. The civic has 3 belts. What if the squeal is the alternator belt, and at highway speeds it's slipping so much that the car is simply running out of power. 5 minutes with a 10mm, and the civic doesn't have a tensioner, but I was able to loosen it up, rotate it out further, and tighten the bolt. No more squeal or random dying.

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
70 Pinto Squire wagon. It was a hand me down from my uncle who lived in upstate NY. The only thing holding the rust together was the wood grain decal down the sides. When ever I went through a puddle who ever was in the passenger seat got splashed by the water coming through the carpet. Drove that car til the door drooped so bad it wouldn't close.

Users who are viewing this thread