What is the tick?

NVMYPWR

Established Member
How can I tell if I have it?

I'm wanting to make sure I put a few miles on my car before I install any mods. The more I read about manufacturer problems, the more inclined I am to wait.

What does the tick sound like?

I bought my car in late June of 2003. I'm not sure how to tell what the build date is. If anyone can enlighten me on how to tell, I'd really appreciate it.

My car now has 1400 miles on it. I was easy on it for the first 600 miles. I don't hear anything unusual in normal driving conditions or when I floor it.

I do however, hear some kind of grinding sound coming from underneath my shifter when I have the clutch pressed in. I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

Advice, comments appreciated.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Best option to compare/listen for the actual tick vs. injector noise which is normal (which people think is the tick but it's not .. I've heard the tick ... it's a nasty TICK TICK TICK from the drivers side wheel. You'll hear it sticking out loudly vs. the left wheel when you put your ear by it.

As for the grinding sound, try adjusting your clutch. It tells you how to do it in your manual. Look up "Clutch" "Adjusting the Clutch" ... it's very easy and takes seconds. Otherwise, these tranny boxes do make noise, but I don't think they should when the clutch is pressed all the way in. So a clutch adjustment is my first guess.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread