WHat is the punishment for having no cats

GreyMach

Established Member
I am going to install a O/R X on my car and was wondering of anyone knows what the fine/ticket is if i were to get caught. How much is it and how does it affect insurance. I am in california. thanks

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
They chop off your hands at the wrist, pull out each finger nail one at a time, and rip off your ears with a plyers.
Or give you a fix-it ticket, and you have like 3 days to fix it or pay a fine.

Edit: Crap, just saw that your from CA, in that case, they'll probally do the first. Yikes! Sorry, I'm no help. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
From what i always read on here, if your in cali. i wouldnt do it. Youll get caught for sure on inpections.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
Some guy got hit with a 10k fine in New Mexico recently for not having cats. Makes sense since it's a federal law. I think that's how the story went anyway.

Cochese

Twin Turbo V8
Established Member
WHat is the punishment for having no cats?

GreyMach said:
WHat is the punishment for having no cats?

:nono:

MR124008.jpg

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Yeah, I've heard of people around here really getting screwed when having no cats. It's not worth it.

The punishment in Illinois is they stick your balls in a blender and push "puree". Pretty stiff.

How much HP do no cats really free up in comparison to having high-flow cats? From what I've heard, it's not much.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Yeah, the last thing you want is your car impounded, especially by the local police. More than one time Ive had to help get fellow sailors/marines cars out of the local impound of whatever area im in, its the same story. In small towns, high performance cars once in a great while manage to get "lost in the mix" for a few hours before they hit the impound yard. So the moral of the story is, if you dont want Sherrif Rosco P Coltraine and Enus out beating the piss out of your car with the tow truck guy, put cats on your car.

The bonus prize is, your car is going to get damaged by the tow almost guaranteed, and the police are going to tell you to get bent, and the tow company will say its not their fault either, good luck getting a judge to give you money from either.

This is just my perspective on this as a military LEO, and Not yet practicing cause i havent taken the bar yet lawyer. Your mileage may vary, but seriously, just go with Hi-Flo cats, its so not worth the risk in Cali. Theyre eco nazis.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Tampa03cobra said:
Yeah, the last thing you want is your car impounded, especially by the local police. More than one time Ive had to help get fellow sailors/marines cars out of the local impound of whatever area im in, its the same story. In small towns, high performance cars once in a great while manage to get "lost in the mix" for a few hours before they hit the impound yard. So the moral of the story is, if you dont want Sherrif Rosco P Coltraine and Enus out beating the piss out of your car with the tow truck guy, put cats on your car.

The bonus prize is, your car is going to get damaged by the tow almost guaranteed, and the police are going to tell you to get bent, and the tow company will say its not their fault either, good luck getting a judge to give you money from either.

This is just my perspective on this as a military LEO, and Not yet practicing cause i havent taken the bar yet lawyer. Your mileage may vary, but seriously, just go with Hi-Flo cats, its so not worth the risk in Cali. Theyre eco nazis.

One, we are not eco-nazis, we just prefer to breath air that cannot be seen. Secondly, most agencies do not touch your car for fear of liability. The tow trucks are operated by service companies normally called in a rotation manner to handle the storing. If your car is damaged or driven it will happen at the hands of the tow company, not the police. The only thing that does make sense in that post is the fact you can avoid any problems by simply complying with the federal laws governing emmision controls.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Well here in California, even high flow cats can be considered illegal because it tampers with the original equip. But having cats on there is better than no cats for sure. They are doing roadside smog checks on cars around here lately. Scary stuff if you know you can't pass smog.

I've never seen an officer get down on his knees and look under a car, but that's not to say it has not happened. At least we don't have to get our 2003's smogged until 2009!

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
mswaim said:
One, we are not eco-nazis, we just prefer to breath air that cannot be seen. Secondly, most agencies do not touch your car for fear of liability. The tow trucks are operated by service companies normally called in a rotation manner to handle the storing. If your car is damaged or driven it will happen at the hands of the tow company, not the police. The only thing that does make sense in that post is the fact you can avoid any problems by simply complying with the federal laws governing emmision controls.

The rosco and enus comment was a bit of humor added into the statement for flavor. You are correct, almost every incident I have seen of the car being "joyrided" has been at the hands of the tow company. However 2 incidents in Georgia and Indiana have shown that at times Law Enforcement Officers in small tows have a hand in such a deed, so it does happen. The point of the post was to terrify the guy into just compling with government regs on catalytic converters in california. I figured the thought of some sherriff beating the hell out of his car would do it ;-). You only lose like 12 hp from the cats/h-pipe design anyway, and knowing you are totally legal is just worth it.

Ken03Cobra

Little Engine That Could
Established Member
You can replace the cats on an exhaust system in california with any cat that is state carb approved and many high flow cats are. The issue is you must have a justification for the replacement. IE the original cats were damaged in some way. If you just decide to replace functional cats then it is considered a modification and is illegal. If you do have your cats replaced have the individual who does the insallation note on the workorder that the original cat was non functional or damaged and your covered so long as the replacement cat is state approved.

Daz97Roush

TruckSlut
Established Member
Tampa03cobra said:
The rosco and enus comment was a bit of humor added into the statement for flavor. You are correct, almost every incident I have seen of the car being "joyrided" has been at the hands of the tow company. However 2 incidents in Georgia and Indiana have shown that at times Law Enforcement Officers in small tows have a hand in such a deed, so it does happen. The point of the post was to terrify the guy into just compling with government regs on catalytic converters in california. I figured the thought of some sherriff beating the hell out of his car would do it ;-). You only lose like 12 hp from the cats/h-pipe design anyway, and knowing you are totally legal is just worth it.
*edited by moderator*
in Cali here ( I work for a Tow company that does rotations with PD) if or when we tow a vehicle its our responsibility to take the utmost care of that vehicle. from the spot where it was towed to our storage facility. in our impound yard we have cameras everywhere.

now to get back into topic to the original poster. i advice, throw some aftermarket cats on and have ur mechanic note on the repair order that the originals were damage due to steep driveway or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I live in MD and got pulled over apparently because my exhaust smelled bad. I was running pretty lean with no cats and the cop must have been a car guy. He came up to my window and asked right away if my car had cats on it. When I said no, he lectured me saying he could give me a $225 fine, and asked why I didn't get the hi-flo catted pipe and if it was really worth the 2-3 horsepower gain. Ended up with a $50 fine but no fix-it ticket. I was pissed, would have rather it been the other way around since I had a hi-flo pipe sitting out in my shed at home.

Users who are viewing this thread