What is the official Ford oil usage spec for 2011-12s?

Erich

Established Member
After the alleged 10K miles where they are known to burn excessive oil...
Changed my oil at 9K and at 12K needed to add half a quart. For my 97GT they were saying a quart every 1000 miles was acceptable or something. Somehow, I feel like this car should be better.
Erich

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I'm pretty sure you're right. Something ridiculous like 1 or 1/2 qt per 1000 miles. Mine disappeared immediately after my oil change around 4-5k miles. Keep driving it and keep tabs on it. Have you taken it to the dealer yet?

Erich

Established Member
I mentioned it when it was eating alot early and they told me to wait till 10K before worrying. Since it is over 10K now, I should bring it and get them to log it at this point.
Erich

01bluesnake

Established Member
A half to a quart between oil changes is nothing to worry about. People tend to forget the pcv system causes oil to be consumed, as well as the addition of the oil squirters tossing oil on the pistons and walls to keep cool which adds to it. A engine is general will always consume oil in normal usage. The more the car gets beat on, the more it will tend to use.

Erich

Established Member
Still, I am curious as to what Ford expects.
My built 4V with a blower does not consume oil.
Erich

calgarybandit

Established Member
My first oil change car was using oil now with about 21,000KM I check it once every couple days and has not moved at all with Royal Purple in it. And I beat my car like a red headed step child every weekend.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
After the alleged 10K miles where they are known to burn excessive oil...
Changed my oil at 9K and at 12K needed to add half a quart. For my 97GT they were saying a quart every 1000 miles was acceptable or something. Somehow, I feel like this car should be better.
Erich

Half a quart in 3k miles is nowhere near "excessive". You're making a mountain out of a mole hill, here. I've heard second hand that Ford isn't willing to do anything unless you're burning a quart in less than 500 miles.

I've got 26k on mine and I burn a quart every 3k-4k miles and I'm fine with it. Oil is cheap and there's nothing wrong with the motor. Performance cars burn oil, especially these modular motors. My 4.6 GT burnt a bit of oil too.

Erich

Established Member
Half a quart in 3k miles is nowhere near "excessive". You're making a mountain out of a mole hill, here. I've heard second hand that Ford isn't willing to do anything unless you're burning a quart in less than 500 miles.

I've got 26k on mine and I burn a quart every 3k-4k miles and I'm fine with it. Oil is cheap and there's nothing wrong with the motor. Performance cars burn oil, especially these modular motors. My 4.6 GT burnt a bit of oil too.

Not saying it is excessive at all. But the original oil consumption of more than a quart in 900 miles was. Therefore, I keep my eye on it and would like to know what actually is "normal" for this motor. The dealer said it should stop using oil after 10K. Using oil is relative. Some motors do more of it than others.
Erich

Users who are viewing this thread