What is the latest with fuel pump alternatives?

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Gang,

What is the latest with replacement fuel pumps to support 600 rwhp? Is there general concensus to just use a BAP or are the Focus pumps enough of an improvement to eliminate the BAP? I also heard discussions about F150 pumps. I need to make a decision soon and was hoping someone had made some progress here. If new pumps are an option I want an easy swap into the 03 pump assembly so would be interested in knowing if alternative pumps slide in like the Focus pumps do.

Thanks

Chris

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I think some people are looking at aviator pumps but still waiting on feedback. The focus pumps will support more than the stock cobra pumps but not as much as the stock pumps with a BAP. Running a BAP with focus pumps isnt recommended due to the additional amperage draw. Some claim tuning a car with a BAP is a pain so they recommend the focus pumps. Ideally I would say talk to your tuner and see what he is comfortable with since that will ultimatly be the deciding factor.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
Thanks. I may be north of 600 rwhp and am a bit concerned about the BAP being enough. I do have improved lines and rails though.

Anyone else have an opinion? I've done a bunch of searches but w/o this search engine working I can't get a feeling for what you guys are thinking.

Chris

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I think davidmax has a whole return style fuel system that is supposed to be great for cars making that much power. I heard it was close to $1200, but probably our safest option at those power levels.

Chris98vobra

Too much boost
Established Member
I agree with the return style system. I should probably explain my set up. Mine is a 98 Cobra with a return style system, 15lbs of boost through a Vortech, improved lines and steeda rails, and an 03 tank and pumps. I built the system when I expected to stay around 500 rwhp but with my new engine I will be north of 600rwhp so I need to improve my pumps. Given that I will have the same problem with fuel pressure that you guys suffer from at high power levels, I hoped to get some ideas for better pumps from y'all.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread