What is the latest news on the '05 and above Cobra??

afro

Why?
Established Member
Hello all,

I really haven't been keeping up on the news of the '05 Cobra and Cobras in the future. What is the latest news/rumors??

also, you all have good sites to visit on latest news?? I used to visit blueovalnews but they got off track IMO w/what they were reporting on..

Thanks for the info!!!

-fro

Captain Beyond

Established Member
No Cobras till summer of 06 sold as 07s. All indications seem to be that it will have a 500 hp supercharged powerplant. Ford SVT hit a homerun with the current 400 hp Cobra. SVT will better that. It will probably get a 5.4 Ford GT detuned version. At least that's what I'm hoping for. There is so much potential in these supercharged engines.

Formula51

Established Member
FYI, we really have no true info, leaks, etc. It all kind of depends on what you read into things. Could be 500hp SC 5.4, could be an NA all aluminum 5.4 around 450hp, or anything else. We really dont know, but these seam to be the two most popular "guesses" I have seen. :beer: Heres hoping its lighter and more balanced regardless of whats under the hood.

afro

Why?
Established Member
hmmm, so the '04 Cobra is the last Cobra till the '07 comes out??!

wow, 3 years..

;/

-fro

karl hungus

Established Member
do you people really think ford will make a 500 hp cobra.it would be a warrenty nightmare(and they would have to sell the car for about 50k).thats why its takeing ford so long to come out with the new one.mybe 450hp but i wouldnt bet on 500 in a million years

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
well its going to have at least 390 right? what i'm more concerned about is the forged bottom end/fuel system/ supporting hardware for a blower. I wouldnt want to tear apart a warranty (ie bottom end) of a NA car to give it the balls a simple Terminator w/ exhaust and pullied has. Thats bullsht.

I mean, look at what Ford is advertising with their new mustang. Its a car that is more performance oriented. better balanced, yada yada yada. I dont think they're going to put a heavier 5.4 iron block out front plus the weight of a blower/ intercooler/ water resivoir, etc....

I'm guessing a NA 5.4 all aluminum w/ hyper pistons. I'll put five dollars on it.

tmf2004

Established Member
Originally posted by TomBoJangles
well its going to have at least 390 right? what i'm more concerned about is the forged bottom end/fuel system/ supporting hardware for a blower. I wouldnt want to tear apart a warranty (ie bottom end) of a NA car to give it the balls a simple Terminator w/ exhaust and pullied has. Thats bullsht.

I mean, look at what Ford is advertising with their new mustang. Its a car that is more performance oriented. better balanced, yada yada yada. I dont think they're going to put a heavier 5.4 iron block out front plus the weight of a blower/ intercooler/ water resivoir, etc....

I'm guessing a NA 5.4 all aluminum w/ hyper pistons. I'll put five dollars on it.

Great post tom but whatever ford does they are going to have to compete with dodge and chevy because they are the higher HP cars... the new lightning and cobra need to be somewhere in the 50+HP abovehere current models to get anyone to buy them. I think people want a fast HP car along with reliability.. Why doesn't ford put there new lightning engine 500HP in the new cobra.. Ford already made a prototype 351 Boss a few months ago.. So I bet they have something up there sleeve..

tmf2004

Whiskey City

Established Member
Originally posted by tmf2004
...snip...whatever ford does they are going to have to compete with dodge and chevy because they are the higher HP cars... the new lightning and cobra need to be somewhere in the 50+HP abovehere current models...snip...

True dat! Dodge already has a 500hp Ram SRT (it's a bada$$) so the majic number of 500 is not out of reach for a reasonably priced (mid $40s) vehicle. I would assume though that the new Cobra will be in the 450 range and the Lightning to be at 500 (direct compete with Mopar). If not for insurance purposes only.

I don't think that the whole argument about Ford not making a 500hp Cobra because of the GT holds water. Dodge is doing it right now with the Ram and Viper. Yea, truck vs. car but the Viper (and GT for that matter) is an entirely different class of car. Hell, I have a 500hp Cobra right now and it ain't no GT.

Thats MHO.:beer:

jshen

Established Member
My .02

Doesn't the GT put out 550-560 hp? For Ford to be competetive..and get the sales..I think it must make the majic 500 number. Too many 03/04 s making those numbers now...Why would we want to step up and buy one if there aren't significant hp improvements.:)

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I read somewhere that the GT dynos at 550 hp. They are factory rated at 550hp & 500 tq. Ford sure does like to underrate their performance cars hp wise.

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by Captain Beyond
I read somewhere that the GT dynos at 550 hp. They are factory rated at 550hp & 500 tq. Ford sure does like to underrate their performance cars hp wise.

Its WAY underrated at that.;-)

Users who are viewing this thread