What is "THE FIX"?

Black70Stang

Well, I uh, Had a Mustang
Established Member
Might be getting a 99/01 Cobra soon, and I see a lot of guys talking about "THE FIX"

Can someone please explain this to me? What was wrong, and how can you tell that Ford fixed it?

jcobra

Established Member
The 99's were not putting down the horsepower that ford claimed. I think it was an exhaust fix or something.

RioRed4v

Established Member
there should be a green or blue dot on either the alternator, or on the intake. that'll show you if it's had the fix.

if you're still in doubt, try running an oasis report.

CobraKraiger

Know Not Anxiety Or Fear
Established Member
RioRed4v said:
there should be a green or blue dot on either the alternator, or on the intake. that'll show you if it's had the fix.

if you're still in doubt, try running an oasis report.

What is an oasis report?

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
One question at a time.

The "FIX" was only applicable to 99's.
Extrude honed, acid dipped, or double acid dipped the lower manifold to remove excess casting flash.
Reflashed the computer chip.
Installed more free flowing mufflers to reduce back pressure.

An oasis report is an internal record-keeping system for Ford to monitor what is being done to their vehicles in their shops. It runs off of the VIN. If you find a '99 and are curious about it, call 1.800.FORD.SVT with the VIN and they will tell you everything that has ever been done to it in a Ford shop (not including the parking lot flogging at the hands of the bastard wash boys)

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
From my understanding, some backpressure is necessary, hence why we run exhaust and don't run open headers or open heads. But too much obviously hurts you.Think about a garden hose. If the hose were too fat, you would get no pressure and water would just roll out the end. Too small of a hose and you are moving too little water. The trick is finding optimal piping diameter with few bends to optimize flow. This is why 4 cylinder honds that are N/a should run a 2.25 or 2.5 inch single exhaust. Our cars have double the cylinders and more than double the HP, so dual 2.5-3 inch piping works well, esp if you are gonna build serious hp via boooooooossssst

svtcobra202

Flyers Fan
Established Member
Black70Stang said:
Might be getting a 99/01 Cobra soon, and I see a lot of guys talking about "THE FIX"

Can someone please explain this to me? What was wrong, and how can you tell that Ford fixed it?

Follow this link for info on "the fix" - This guy has a great web page if you have a 99-01 cobra

http://mysite.verizon.net/txsnakecharmer/techman1.htm

Mike C

green99_svt

Established Member
the ford oasis report will only go back one year. but it will tell you if any recalls are outstanding on the vehicle. so if your car had the "fix" in late 99 or early 2000 it will not show on oasis

AzDropTop

Established Member
Click here for a lot of info on it.

Gents,

Sorry for jumping here at the last minute but I just have to talk about the 99 Cobras and the "FIX".

The dreaded "FIX" as everyone calls it is actually Ford Program Number 99B27. It incorporated an Intake Manifold change (either a "Greed Dot" (Accid Ported or Dipped) or a "Blue Dot" (Extrude Hone). The "Green Dot" proved to have just a little more volume on the runners than the "Blue Dot" but on the other hand the "Blue Dot" have smother runners. They make about the same power.

Also, Program 99B27 included a revised Cat-Back with 2.25 in pipes and better flowing mufflers. The original pre-fix cat back was a 2.25 in as well but it was heavily crimp in several areas. The also changed the Computer Program to accomodate the better flowing manifold and catback as well as some other modifications.

Lastly, they changed the idler pulleys as well.

Just to give you an example of what numbers a 99 Cobra put down before and after the fix, I'll use mine as an example:

Before Fix: 264RWHP/268RWTQ (that's about 303HP/308TQ

After the Fix: 290RWHP/293RWTQ (that's about 333HP/336TQ)

A gain of about 25HP/TQ, not bad. That was stock with the exeption of a K&N Replacement Filter and 3.73 Gears. To put it into perspective, my buddy Oscar's 98 Cobra put down 273RWTQ/269RWTQ with a K&N, Bassani X, 3.73 Gears and Flowmasters.

Here is the Before and After Fix Dyno Sheet:

http://www.nazman.stangnet.com/My%2...After Fix.jpg

Now, after many mods the car makes 333RWHP and 331RWTQ with Cats, and no long tube header.

Who said that the 99 Cobras were weak?

Naz

green99_svt

Established Member
my 99 has the recall tag under hood but still has the early style idler pulleys. where will the dot be on the manifold. now im weary if mine was done. my car put down 295hp and 286 ftlb with chip a march crank pulley and diablo tune and 4:10 gears, as well as bassani x and catback. is this low for these mods. my original catback had ford service part tags on it like it was replaced. did they not do the complete service. my car was built in march of 99 so i believe it to be an early build. also having the early serp routing

LordJish

Established Member
You think your numbers are low? Look at mine...and mine's an 01.

I need to have my car dynoed again, something just isn't right

Frogger

Established Member
I have a green DOT and i am wondering how much power my car puts down!

I need to dyno it soon!

My first dyno of this car was 279HP but i dont know if that is after fix or before.
Is that like it shoule be before fix or after?

QU!CK

Bite The Bullitt...
Established Member
On the road again...just can't wait to get on the
AzDropTop said:
Click here for a lot of info on it.

Gents,

Sorry for jumping here at the last minute but I just have to talk about the 99 Cobras and the "FIX".

The dreaded "FIX" as everyone calls it is actually Ford Program Number 99B27. It incorporated an Intake Manifold change (either a "Greed Dot" (Accid Ported or Dipped) or a "Blue Dot" (Extrude Hone). The "Green Dot" proved to have just a little more volume on the runners than the "Blue Dot" but on the other hand the "Blue Dot" have smother runners. They make about the same power.

Also, Program 99B27 included a revised Cat-Back with 2.25 in pipes and better flowing mufflers. The original pre-fix cat back was a 2.25 in as well but it was heavily crimp in several areas. The also changed the Computer Program to accomodate the better flowing manifold and catback as well as some other modifications.

Lastly, they changed the idler pulleys as well.

Just to give you an example of what numbers a 99 Cobra put down before and after the fix, I'll use mine as an example:

Before Fix: 264RWHP/268RWTQ (that's about 303HP/308TQ

After the Fix: 290RWHP/293RWTQ (that's about 333HP/336TQ)

A gain of about 25HP/TQ, not bad. That was stock with the exeption of a K&N Replacement Filter and 3.73 Gears. To put it into perspective, my buddy Oscar's 98 Cobra put down 273RWTQ/269RWTQ with a K&N, Bassani X, 3.73 Gears and Flowmasters.

Here is the Before and After Fix Dyno Sheet:

http://www.nazman.stangnet.com/My%2...After Fix.jpg

Now, after many mods the car makes 333RWHP and 331RWTQ with Cats, and no long tube header.

Who said that the 99 Cobras were weak?

Naz

I can't seem to get the link to work.

-J

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Frogger said:
I have a green DOT and i am wondering how much power my car puts down!

I need to dyno it soon!

My first dyno of this car was 279HP but i dont know if that is after fix or before.
Is that like it shoule be before fix or after?
What are your mods, stock would be after "The fix"

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
green99_svt said:
the ford oasis report will only go back one year. but it will tell you if any recalls are outstanding on the vehicle. so if your car had the "fix" in late 99 or early 2000 it will not show on oasis

SVT keeps better records on their vehicles. I called SVT last fall and they were able to tell me that the T45 in my car had been pulled out before back in 00 and 02, even told me the name of the dealership that had done the work. :-D

Last edited:

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
LordJish said:
You think your numbers are low? Look at mine...and mine's an 01.

I need to have my car dynoed again, something just isn't right

Think yours are low...don't have all the specs..but I remember 262rwhp... sheese my z28 had 244rwhp stock...

green99_svt

Established Member
where exactly is this dot i dont see one on my lid or the manifold.
is it supposed to be right on top.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Look behind the left side of the alternator on the manifold thats where my dot is at. hth

Users who are viewing this thread