What is the best one..

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
I am wanting to get a new throttle body and plenum for my car.. I am just curious what are you guys using? also what do you guys recommend? I have heard a lot about Dragon Performance, but I am not sure. Thanks for your guys help! :beer:

Iron Fist

Established Member
I have a stock ported TB, plenum and blower. I plan on getting the Dragon TB and plenum as they seem to be the largest, and I will port it also.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Post up what mods you already have on the car. A TB or an intake would be pretty low on my list unless I had done everything else. At your power level neither of those mods will result in any noticeable difference in the car.

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
ok, cool guys I have heard a lot about the Dragon. My mods are a 2.93 pulley a JLT CAI and it has been tuned with a Diablo sport tuner. The previous owner had all that stuff done to it. I also have a Magnaflow Catback waiting to go on. I am actually going to get a custom tune this spring because I am making low power.. I realized that it has never had a custom tune on it.. I am also going to get a ported blower and all that jazz. But I agree with you SlowSVT, I do need some power adders, I believe the custom tune will help out a lot. I just honestly didn't know. :beer:

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
the dragon tb is the way to go...its bigger and cheaper. use to have an accufab on my eaton.pretty sharp throttle response. accufab makes a nice product as well.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The ported blower will yeild better results then the TB or intake (an Accufab single blade TB is worth about 10 hp at most, better throttle response is due to all the air they will initally let thru compared to the dual 57's). Custom tune is also a good call. Don't expect much more then 500-525 hp from an Eaton unless you don't mind risking the engine.

Don't forget about supporting mods. Cooling, fuel system and diveline. Best to put all that stuff in first to give you a margin of safety. A good start includes:

60 lb injectors, bigger pumps, a BAP (return system perferred but expensive), LDC or Evenflow cooling mod, two row single pass Fluidyne rad, 26 spline input shaft, upgraded clutch and a BilletFlow diff brace. This stuff will allow for more power down the road. A set of sub-frame connectors should also be high on your list, Global West if you got the dough, Maximum Motorsports if you don't.

Magnaflow Catback is a very well made system that make a nice growl when pushed.

faststang87

Smoke Em!
Established Member
the dragon tb is the way to go...its bigger and cheaper. use to have an accufab on my eaton.pretty sharp throttle response. accufab makes a nice product as well.

:beer: Sweet man, that is what I have heard.. The Dragon is very good. So it basically comes down too your preference..

The ported blower will yeild better results then the TB or intake (an Accufab single blade TB is worth about 10 hp at most, better throttle response is due to all the air they will initally let thru compared to the dual 57's). Custom tune is also a good call. Don't expect much more then 500-525 hp from an Eaton unless you don't mind risking the engine.

Don't forget about supporting mods. Cooling, fuel system and diveline. Best to put all that stuff in first to give you a margin of safety. A good start includes:

60 lb injectors, bigger pumps, a BAP (return system perferred but expensive), LDC or Evenflow cooling mod, two row single pass Fluidyne rad, 26 spline input shaft, upgraded clutch and a BilletFlow diff brace. This stuff will allow for more power down the road. A set of sub-frame connectors should also be high on your list, Global West if you got the dough, Maximum Motorsports if you don't.

Magnaflow Catback is a very well made system that make a nice growl when pushed.

I appreciate your help. You are giving me a lot of great ideas. I forgot to mention that I have a AFCO pro Heat Exchanger ready to go on. I figured that is how much power I would be looking at with the stock eaton. This really helps me out a lot because I was having some difficulty in deciding on which way to go, or basically where to start. But now that I have an idea, it will be easier in deciding on what parts to by next. :beer: Thanks a lot! :rockon:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

If a car makes say 510 hp with a a/f ratio of 11.5 to 1 and timing at 23*s but another car makes 540 hp with a a/f ratio of 11.5 to 1 and timing at 23*'s it's because the blower is making the extra power. So my point is you're not going to damage the engine just because the parts on the car are giving you more for your dollar. Change the timing if you'd like but that's still my point.

Honestly I don't think any Eaton without Nitrous is going to hurt one of our engine's. Unless the tune is bad or a back to back interstate pull. That's still a maybe.

Also unless the car needs the extra fuel, mass air meter, or even pumps it does nothing to upgrade them. If a car doesn't need 60lb injectors and the owner doesn't want to spend the money then he's not chancing the car's engine life at all.

I think I understand what you're saying but just making sure the OP knows he doesn't "have to upgrade" things that he might not need. Safety maybe but even then his Tuner will tell him what he actually needs.:beer:

Plenty of cars making well over 600hp and none of us would switch fuel systems because the one we have works perfectly fine. I've ran 22lbs of boost on my 2.3 Whipple and never once considered changing fuel systems. If it aint broke then don't fix it lol.

SlowSVT

Established Member
If a car makes say 510 hp with a a/f ratio of 11.5 to 1 and timing at 23*s but another car makes 540 hp with a a/f ratio of 11.5 to 1 and timing at 23*'s it's because the blower is making the extra power. So my point is you're not going to damage the engine just because the parts on the car are giving you more for your dollar. Change the timing if you'd like but that's still my point.

Honestly I don't think any Eaton without Nitrous is going to hurt one of our engine's. Unless the tune is bad or a back to back interstate pull. That's still a maybe.

Also unless the car needs the extra fuel, mass air meter, or even pumps it does nothing to upgrade them. If a car doesn't need 60lb injectors and the owner doesn't want to spend the money then he's not chancing the car's engine life at all.

I think I understand what you're saying but just making sure the OP knows he doesn't "have to upgrade" things that he might not need. Safety maybe but even then his Tuner will tell him what he actually needs.:beer:

Plenty of cars making well over 600hp and none of us would switch fuel systems because the one we have works perfectly fine. I've ran 22lbs of boost on my 2.3 Whipple and never once considered changing fuel systems. If it aint broke then don't fix it lol.

You are correct. He can probably get by running the factory components.......but not something I would want to depend on when I needed it the most :uh oh:

Users who are viewing this thread