What is the best flash tuner?

thenek

Established Member
Hello eveyone, I'm new to the forums and hope to be a regular here. I have had my Sonic Blue 03 Lightning for about a year now, and love evey minute of it. I havent done much to it yet other than a 40 series flowmater and a free WOT boost pressure bypass mod found here. http://rpmoutlet.com/boost bypass.htm

I'm looking at buying a package deal on RPM outlet.com (Optio E "E-kit" http://rpmoutlet.com/lightning.htm ) and it comes with either the Diablosport, Predator or the SCT Stratagy. Also the guy at the SCT dyno shop is trying to sell me the SCT Excaliber 2. So, the question is which tuner is better?
If SCT is better, then what is the difference between the Stratagy and the Excalibur 2?

Last edited:

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
SCT XCAL2 is the way to go.

Why? I love my Predator. Other than the fact that you can store more tunes on the SCT why is it better than the diablosport?

Sell me on it. :-D

hemislayer99

Here...Hemi...Hemi!!!
Established Member
thenek said:
Hello eveyone, I'm new to the forums and hope to be a regular here. I have had my Sonic Blue 03 Lightning for about a year now, and love evey minute of it. I havent done much to it yet other than a 40 series flowmater and a free WOT boost pressure bypass mod found here. http://rpmoutlet.com/boost bypass.htm

Off topic, but does that really work?

thenek

Established Member
hemislayer99 said:
Off topic, but does that really work?

I would say so, when i took it to the dyno it was putting out 9.47 lbs of boost. Thats about 1 and a half lbs over stock. It says you can get up to 3 lbs of boost from it, prolly depends on what other mods you have done.

Here is my dyno results

Last edited:

Pewter99TransAm

I would do the x cal is i could go back and do it all over again. it holds multiple programs so you can runs races tunes street tunes etc. My predator can only hold one at a time. other than that they are identicle.

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
03SNOWBALL said:
I would go with whatever your local dyno shop uses
+1 on that. Find a reputable tuner in the area and go with what he works with. I've run into this exact problem.... I ordered a predator which works fine but the local tuner uses SCT, so I've gotta swap the pred out for an Xcal2.

thenek

Established Member
Well sounds like the best bet is to go with the X-cal 2 since my local dyno guy is SCT certified. Thanks you all for your input. I guess i will see how much all the stuff in that kit at rpmoutlet is seperatly without the tuner.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Xcal2 Holds more tunes, and loads a tune ALOT faster than the Predator. Nothing wrong with the Predator, i started with one, just got a killer deal on the Xcal2.

thenek

Established Member
03SNOWBALL said:
That aint to far from here Ive been to the fairfield malup some time

Some friends and i are having a dyno day there on 5 Aug if your interested. It's $50 for about 3 runs on the dyno and $75 an hour to tune. You are more that welcome to join us.

thenek

Established Member
I just found out from Jeff at Precision Autosports http://precision-autosports.com/index.php "SCT dyno guy/tuner" that the Strategy is an X-cal 2 that has a "canned tune" on it. He can wipe this tune and boom, it is essentially an x-cal 2 with custom tunes. So now i have no problem buying the "E-kit" on rpmoutlet.com since it comes with the Strategy.

Last edited:

03SNOWBALL

Established Member
thenek said:
Some friends and i are having a dyno day there on 5 Aug if your interested. It's $50 for about 3 runs on the dyno and $75 an hour to tune. You are more that welcome to join us.[/Q
Is that 75 with him tuning it with his programmer?I'm stock now so I don't think it will help much will it?Can you tune when its stock?

thenek

Established Member
03SNOWBALL said:
thenek said:
Some friends and i are having a dyno day there on 5 Aug if your interested. It's $50 for about 3 runs on the dyno and $75 an hour to tune. You are more that welcome to join us.[/Q
Is that 75 with him tuning it with his programmer?I'm stock now so I don't think it will help much will it?Can you tune when its stock?

No, I don't think he can do anything with the stock chip. I could be wrong, but it is probably very limited if he can. As far as prices go, i think its $50 to run it on the dyno and an additional $75 if you want it tuned. Again i could be wrong on that too but thats what i have been lead to believe.

03SNOWBALL

Established Member
thenek said:
03SNOWBALL said:
No, I don't think he can do anything with the stock chip. I could be wrong, but it is probably very limited if he can. As far as prices go, i think its $50 to run it on the dyno and an additional $75 if you want it tuned. Again i could be wrong on that too but thats what i have been lead to believe.

I'll be working on the 5th, since I got a 4 day weekend coming up.I e-mailed him awhile back heres what I was quoted .{The Dynotune is $100 /hr and the Xcal2 is $399. All plus %6.5 sales tax. Let me know and I can get you on the schedule.}

Regards,

Jeff Wightman

I bought my Bassani and a set of Hankooks first and a FTVB.Next modd got to be my 6# for sure.

thenek

Established Member
03SNOWBALL said:
thenek said:
I'll be working on the 5th, since I got a 4 day weekend coming up.I e-mailed him awhile back heres what I was quoted .{The Dynotune is $100 /hr and the Xcal2 is $399. All plus %6.5 sales tax. Let me know and I can get you on the schedule.}

Regards,

Jeff Wightman

I bought my Bassani and a set of Hankooks first and a FTVB.Next modd got to be my 6# for sure.

Yea, he made us a deal that if we got 5 or more people the dyno is only $50, Thats without tuning. You probably will need to buy a tuner to be able to get it tuned. Whats a FTVB? ** Valve Body?

Users who are viewing this thread