What is the best exhaust for a 96-98 cobra?

Best exhaust for 96-98 Cobras

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1stCobra

"Get Furious"
Established Member
Bassani with flowmaster is what I run and people say it sounds damn mean.

NXGHOST

Established Member
I use the MAC flowpath. I previously used Flowmaster but the fit was horrible. Prewelded flowtubes were not a great idea. The MAC sound real tough. Not raspy like the flowmasters.

Madmark

Established Member
COBRASVT I love your exhaust, few questions.

Did you just weld the xr1s onto stock?

I think I heard somewhere that dr gas xpipes don't come prewelded?

What is best place to order from?

mystic venom

Established Member
Madmark said:
COBRASVT I love your exhaust, few questions.

Did you just weld the xr1s onto stock?

I think I heard somewhere that dr gas xpipes don't come prewelded?

What is best place to order from?

Good choice, I love my xr1 catback especially up top. They make the xr1 in a offset that you can weld in. The mufflers that come in the catback are centered but I don't think you can buy the catback anymore, I had a hard time locating mine as Borla quit making the catback.

mystical

Established Member
Winglesscobra said:
flow masters dumped with off road h pipe and longtubes sounds the best imo

+1 Off-road h paired with flowmaster original 40s or mac flowpaths! Deep and hollow classic American muscle. I am not a big fan of x-pipes and straight through mufflers. Too raspy and high-pitched for my tastes.

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
To check out a sound clip of 40 series flows with o/r h, search snakestang96 on member list and click his link for the sound clip.

Last edited:

SnakeStang96

SVT Crazy
Established Member
98Sn8ke said:
To check out a sound clip of 40 series flows with o/r h, search snakestang96 on member list and click his link for the sound clip.

Like he said, check below

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
COBRASVT said:
Factory header + Dr. Gas o/r X + Borla XR-1s = Click Me

Your car sounds pretty tight. Let me ask, are the Xr-1s the really small bullet style muffler or the larger stock type? At one time someone tried to convince me that the Xr-1s would be way too loud. I think they were either flat wrong or at least confused because yours sounds nice.

I am about to complete my total exhaust upgrade when I replace the tips with some Mac chrone 3" tips. My boys GT is retared louder than mine, and the only difference is really (other than 16 valves) is the fact that the last 12 or so inches on his are 3" in diameter. (as are all 99+ V8s) Mine new pipes will be a constant 3" from the mufflers back.

Yes, I know the tips aren't going to make the sound THAT much different, I just want mine a little louder at idle and low speeds to magnify that good sound that's coming from my set up. Your mufflers and headers and mid piipe can change the tone, make it louder, or just change the "quality" of the sound, but I know for a fact, that a wider pipe can give a magnaphone type effect. And, yes, I realize my tips are 2.75" already, but not only will the extra .25" help a little, the new pipes will be .75" wider at everywhere else but the very tip. Plus, the chrome will look much better and do a good job of matching my new rims!

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
nckissfan said:
does the side exhaust hinder performance. I have heard people say they do.

It didn't hurt my power any at all. In fact I think I gained 4rwhp over the welded in flows. ;-)

BLKNOTCH

We're all crazy here
Established Member
I have BBK LTs, Bassani X (no cats), and Bassani Quiet Thunder all 3" with turn downs. I have a GR40 suspension so I cannot run tails but I would like it better if I could. I have had lots with Flows though and they are always pleasing to hear.

To me the exhaust sound has alot to do with how much air the motor flows. Sometimes the exhaust sounds "airy" until it gets into the tach nad starts to scream. To me its what makes every Mustang sound different.

JasonSnake

Established Member
I just got done installing my UPR catted X mated to the Bassani c/b. boy does she sing now :) It has that "whaaaa" sound around 2500-3000 that is so pleasing to my ears. I don't have to really step on the gas much to hear it sing, but cruising through the gears is so much fun now.

There is no choppy sound at all because of the cats. The sound is VERY clean. And because the cats that UPR used are so thin, I'm sure I haven't lost much volume.

I'll post a clip soon.

pbm.cc

Established Member
i have mac longtubes and mac off road x pipe and 2 chambers... but want to get the magnapack catback... does anyone has a similar set up? and how does it sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread