What is that "clunk"?

Yams

Established Member
2011, 6 speed manual, rouch 1" suspension drop, 30,000 miles

I looked through the threads, I don't get the suspension type of clunk, It sounds more like the spare tire bouncing. I live on the last 300 ft of dirt road and the washboard makes it sound like something is bouncing. was wondering if it could be the rear exhaust hangers. Doesn't do it on acceleration, or deceleration. I have a jeep, so I know all about control arm bushings. I don't think that's it. Trunk is empty, so it's not a tool box.

Any Ideas.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
Does it only do it going over the dirt road, does it also do it over speed bumps? Was it always lowered and did you just notice it, possibly after it got cold? It might be the rear end links, got a similar clunk in the rear after doing P springs, greasing the hell out of the rear end links culled it but it still happens in the cold.

Yams

Established Member
it does it on small pot-holes too. Not speed bumps. has to be a sharp change in suspension. I was thinking maybe the driveline, or exhaust hangers.

scott_0

Established Member
my 11 lowered on Koni str.t and steeda ultralites, clunks terrible, wish I could find the source

Jbstang87

Established Member
I think I have the same problem, its definately not drivetrain noise. It started after the install of the ultralites. It sounds like a quick clap of metal on metal. Not really sure what it is

86Fbody

Established Member
You can always do the very technical "bang" method and see if you can reproduce the sound. That is how I found the rear endlinks to be my issue.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I doubt the UCA makes that noise, unless it is letting the OAP's hit the frame.

They do, they clunk.

Running an aftermarket UCA in the stock bracket clunks, not torquing down the UCA enough to the bracket causes clunk.

Had my BMR UCA torqued to the rating provided by BMR and would clunk, was advised by Kelly that they can be torqued down a whole lot more than I originally had mine.

Solved my clunk issue.

That said, may not be OPs issue.

86Fbody

Established Member
They do, they clunk.

Running an aftermarket UCA in the stock bracket clunks, not torquing down the UCA enough to the bracket causes clunk.

Had my BMR UCA torqued to the rating provided by BMR and would clunk, was advised by Kelly that they can be torqued down a whole lot more than I originally had mine.

Solved my clunk issue.

That said, may not be OPs issue.

Alright, yes it can, if not used with their mount since the bolt is loose in the hole.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Almost sounds like a rubber mallet hitting the bottom of the tub.

I will start with the control arms. When it warms up. Snowing like mad outside, for the next week.

I've had them clunk if they are not super tight. Even the UCa with aftermarket mounts.

Not saying that is it, but when I put my 2011 GT back to stock to trade it in, the passenger LCA(stock LCA) wasn't tightened all the way down on the chassy mounting point and was clunking when I'd hit bumps.

Grabbed a wrench and tightened it down and all was well afterwords.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
What about your bump stops? They could be hitting your body on the bumps. Not likely but it's possible.

Baysixx

Established Member
my OTA pipes used to hit the frame sometimes and would make the clunk noise over certain bumps.

Users who are viewing this thread