What is my Cobra worth?

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I am posting here since my Cobra was road raced. Mods can move if if they want.

The time has come for us to seriously think about letting the Cobra go.

It is a ported Eaton 03 Cobra with all the popular boltons plus some suspension work, bushings, springs, swaybar, cc plates, Cobra R brakes and 4.10 gears. Mechanically she is very good (I always took good care of her), but the ac does not work (no condenser) and normal stone chips and road rash body marks.

How do you sell a car like this?
Advertise it as is (the honest way) and hope people will believe me when I tell them I ran the car 90% of the time with the average boost setup (3.100 upper). That I only ran high boost at the strip and dynos (maybe 15 times total in 5yrs), always kept a close eye on temps, always ran safe AFR's and changed fluids every 3000km's or whenever I smell gas in the oil.

Or bring everything back to stock, touch up the stone chips and tell them it was never raced and that my wife onlt drove it to car shows:??:

Because I see this all the time... "oh this car has never been to the track"

What do you guys think?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I am in a similar boat. Click the link on my signature and you can see how I have mine advertised.

-Kevin

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I sold my cobra on SVTp. It was the only site I placed an ad, and soup to nuts took 30 days. I posted it at 18k firm and fully disclosed every mod, and was open about having tracked the car. Anyone could run a search on my user name and find any info they needed on my exploits.

While I think the waxers are generally scared of cars that have been tracked, the assessment I got from everyone I got PM's from during the sale of my car was that most folks that track their stuff are much more meticulous about maintenance, and therefore while the nose has some chips on it, the engine is spotless inside with the blackstone reports to prove it.

I vote full disclosure. A potential buyer you talk to will get WAY more information than someone just trying to dump their car.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Troy,

I agree. Which is why I went so far as to post the road course and drag strip times in my advertisements. I figured I would want to know if I were buying the car.

-Kevin

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
I don't know the value, but I agree with being honest...

What's to say you won't find someone faster, that is interested in doing just what you do with the car?

Rather then go back to stock, and sell it to someone who has to do all the shit you already have done?

SVTmojo

Track Junkie!
Established Member
People who really know what they are looking for will appreciate your honesty, and will look for somebody who has open-tracked the car. I have sold 2 cobra, both of which I open tracked, and the buyer both were looking for an honest seller.

Hopefully soon, when I get back into the marked for a 03-04 cobra, I will be looking for an honest seller. Because I know that even though my cars have been open-tracked, they have been better cared for than some joe-shmoe that never looked at the fluids or changed the oil. Most people that open track their cars take spectacular care of them....

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I also think 18 - 20k is fair for a Cobra like mine and agree to be honest about the car. Hopefully come spring I can find a serious buyer. For now I am just going to do the clutch packs in the diff and wheelbearings, something I do every winter anyway.

Thanks for the replies.
Riaan

Users who are viewing this thread