What is more restrictive in terms of exhaust flow?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Would you say the stock cats? or the stock catback and mufflers?

Will chaning the catback and leaving the stock cats improve performance, other than sound? Or should one change both to realize the gain?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
The word "catback" seems a little funny. But what I mean is everything after the stock H pipe, not including the stock cats and H pipe. Is this the correct term to describe this?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Forbidden Snake
The word "catback" seems a little funny. But what I mean is everything after the stock H pipe, not including the stock cats and H pipe. Is this the correct term to describe this?

Yes, cat-back is from the rear flange on the H-pipe back.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I just changed my mufflers and I noticed a little more top end,,I say the power is in the mid pipe

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
What if I just do a half-ass job like gutting the cats and getting some high-flow mufflers and not the complete after-market catbacks, cats, and h or x pipe? This would be like a poor-man's complete exhaust change-over. What do you guys think about this? I mean I see no reason in ditching a completely good exhaust piping (although, not the best).

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Ok...
I don't have any dyno to support this tho I have added the following on my car..

.. but in the 5.0 Magazine for ... September I think.. they modded the 03 with Cone, X-pipe and Catback.

IIRC.. the X-pipe with cats was only about 8 HP but the Catback itself was about 20HP. Seems to me they improved over all with the big filter, x-pipe and catback in the mid 40hp range.

This was without a chip.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Forbidden Snake
What if I just do a half-ass job like gutting the cats and getting some high-flow mufflers and not the complete after-market catbacks, cats, and h or x pipe? This would be like a poor-man's complete exhaust change-over. What do you guys think about this? I mean I see no reason in ditching a completely good exhaust piping (although, not the best).

You will have to cut between each pair of cats to be able to gut them. Too many bends. Just make sure you mark them before you cut them so it fits back right.

I can find you a off-road h-pipe for $130 I think. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread