What is it like being an Officer?

saleensc281

Established Member
The difference between an 2LT and a PFC is that a PFC has been promoted twice. IMO a LT has to earn his rank and status with me...until then..he just a overpaid private with a degree. I have had the privilage in working with some really good Platoon Leaders and LT's.....also have known and worked with a few of knuckleheads too. Its a lot of politics man...I could never stomache all the BS that comes with the job. If you do become a officer...know your job ie. be tactically and technically sound......and ALWAYS take care of your Soldiers. Your enlisted personnel, NCO and lower enlisted will either make or break your career and status as a officer so to speak.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
The difference between an 2LT and a PFC is that a PFC has been promoted twice. IMO a LT has to earn his rank and status with me...until then..he just a overpaid private with a degree. I have had the privilage in working with some really good Platoon Leaders and LT's.....also have known and worked with a few of knuckleheads too. Its a lot of politics man...I could never stomache all the BS that comes with the job. If you do become a officer...know your job ie. be tactically and technically sound......and ALWAYS take care of your Soldiers. Your enlisted personnel, NCO and lower enlisted will either make or break your career and status as a officer so to speak.

From what I have observed and been told, the best thing a LT can do is attach himself to a senior NCO, and become a sponge and hang on every word he says and use him as his sounding board. It is pretty easy to tell who has done that and who hasn't.

Let me also say that when I was talking about respect earlier, I am not talking about a private doing what an LT tells him to do. I am talking about the kind of respect that people give you by not talking about you behind your back. the SGTs and above talking about you knowing and doing your job, rather than what an arrogant idiot, prick, or whatever you are. I have seen both kinds during my time out here.

Hell I just realized I have been out here longer that most LTs have been in the service LOL!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

+1. I've served with some really good LT's and some really shitty ones. Its a hit or miss really. A big key to earn the respect of your NCO's is to let us do our jobs. Don't show up and try to change shit thats been working just because you are in charge of the platoon. I train my men to standard.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
From what I have observed and been told, the best thing a LT can do is attach himself to a senior NCO, and become a sponge and hang on every word he says and use him as his sounding board. It is pretty easy to tell who has done that and who hasn't.

Let me also say that when I was talking about respect earlier, I am not talking about a private doing what an LT tells him to do. I am talking about the kind of respect that people give you by not talking about you behind your back. the SGTs and above talking about you knowing and doing your job, rather than what an arrogant idiot, prick, or whatever you are. I have seen both kinds during my time out here.

Hell I just realized I have been out here longer that most LTs have been in the service LOL!

This is true. A new LT should observe the squad leaders and platoon seargent and learn a little from us. We always give respect to the rank, especially and always in front of the junior enlisted, but we don't always respect the person. The worst is the LT's that have the mentality of "if its not my idea we are not doing it!"

Its kind of funny but my last LT was a PFC before going to OCS. He turned out to be one of the best LT's I've ever had. Let us NCO's do what we do best and was there to help us when we asked. If he saw something that could use improvement he got with the NCO's off line and if he saw something that was wrong he knew how to handle it tactfully, and it went both ways. It kept the morale high in the platoon.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
You're not tossing around like the ROTC officers I described in my early post are you:lol1:

Having two retired first sergeants as parents...thats a big no.

My NCOs know I dont know shit about the real Army and how a real engineer unit works. Why would I try to bullshit them?

I know my rung on the ladder. Being an LT is all about learning and thats what Im trying to do.

bunk22

Established Member
The OP asked about either pilot or intel which I believe is probably a bit different than ground pounders. Different communities have different lifestyles and leadership challenges and the focus seems to be on a different aspect of military life in the discussion thus far. With one exception, it's good to hear from actual military folks however, regardless of rank.

As a Naval Aviator, the chance to lead sailors will take some time as API, Primary & Advanced flight training and then the FRS means an aviator won't hit the fleet until at least an O-2. Possibly as an O-1 if he started from day one with training but right now it's not the case. I hit the fleet as a brand new O-3, it took 18 months just to start API and flight training. Often, actually being in charge of folks will be limited depending on the job in the squadron. The challenges of leadership and listening to your NCO's and senior enlisted, using thier experience and knowledge is probably the same across the board.

Fire Pig

Established Member
Having two retired first sergeants as parents...thats a big no.

My NCOs know I dont know shit about the real Army and how a real engineer unit works. Why would I try to bullshit them?

I know my rung on the ladder. Being an LT is all about learning and thats what Im trying to do.

You don't have to explain yourself or justify anything to anyone on here.
Thanks for serving and God Bless!:beer:

roushcobra2003

Established Member
The OP asked about either pilot or intel which I believe is probably a bit different than ground pounders. Different communities have different lifestyles and leadership challenges and the focus seems to be on a different aspect of military life in the discussion thus far. With one exception, it's good to hear from actual military folks however, regardless of rank.

As a Naval Aviator, the chance to lead sailors will take some time as API, Primary & Advanced flight training and then the FRS means an aviator won't hit the fleet until at least an O-2. Possibly as an O-1 if he started from day one with training but right now it's not the case. I hit the fleet as a brand new O-3, it took 18 months just to start API and flight training. Often, actually being in charge of folks will be limited depending on the job in the squadron. The challenges of leadership and listening to your NCO's and senior enlisted, using thier experience and knowledge is probably the same across the board.
Thanks for your input and everyone else's. I'm still on the fence on getting my masters or signing up for OCS. I talked to a Officer Recruiter basically not telling me much, but just gave me a packet of information.
What seems like a good deal is the Technical Degree Scholarship which pays for 2 years of schooling and e4 pay + housing. I might just do that, and see what adventure I'll wind up in.

bunk22

Established Member
Thanks for your input and everyone else's. I'm still on the fence on getting my masters or signing up for OCS. I talked to a Officer Recruiter basically not telling me much, but just gave me a packet of information.
What seems like a good deal is the Technical Degree Scholarship which pays for 2 years of schooling and e4 pay + housing. I might just do that, and see what adventure I'll wind up in.

It comes in cycles but right now, the Navy and Air Force are over their limit with aviators. I think the AF has stopped taking applications for a short time period and I know the Navy has made the academic standards in Aviation Pre-flight Indoctrination (API) much more strict to weed folks out. If those don't work out, there is the ANG, AFR, US Coast Guard, Army, etc.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Fly Marines
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/chow-hall-339/638571-interested-becoming-pilot-united-states-marine-corps-step-inside.html

OCS
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn-CYv5USd8"]YouTube- Marine Corps OCS Officer Candidates School USMC[/nomedia]
TBS
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaqQ832CeT0"]YouTube- THE BASIC SCHOOL - PART 1[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MALaF5giVrE"]YouTube- THE BASIC SCHOOL - PART 2[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brnE2C7DOqM"]YouTube- Navy API[/nomedia]
Primary
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gNIrxdTJE4"]YouTube- Navy Primary[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwSuWb2gMg"]YouTube- Making a PILOT Vol I (Pilot Training T34 with Aerobatics)[/nomedia]
Helo Pipeline
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CkE-R-FJAc"]YouTube- Making a PILOT Vol II (Advanced Pilot Training T57 with sim)[/nomedia]
Jet Pipeline
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pc67gE8Jzw"]YouTube- Boeing T-45 Goshawk Moto Video NAS Kingsville[/nomedia]

ringo01

Established Member
The AF has actually indefinitely stopped OTS... I'm going into my final year of ROTC and that's what we've been told. So unless you wanna spend 2+ years in ROTC or 4 years at the Academy I would suggest you go Navy.

BTW my AFSC is Combat Systems Operator I will be going to NAS Pensacola for pilot training in a year!

I've been told the Navy gives a lot more respect to their junior officers compared to the Air Force.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Havent commissioned yet but Ill tell you that both routes into army (ROTC vs OCS) suck. ROTC is boring and if you go the OCS route (which is your option considering you have your degree) you have to deal with drill SGTS through basic training and OCS which I believe is somewhere about 22 weeks between the two if I remember correctly.

Wish I could offer you better information:shrug:

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
The AF has actually indefinitely stopped OTS... I'm going into my final year of ROTC and that's what we've been told. So unless you wanna spend 2+ years in ROTC or 4 years at the Academy I would suggest you go Navy.

BTW my AFSC is Combat Systems Operator I will be going to NAS Pensacola for pilot training in a year!

I've been told the Navy gives a lot more respect to their junior officers compared to the Air Force.

Congrats! I'm also doing AFROTC and going to FT next summer. I'm hoping to get CSO or ABM. Any advice for a C/3C?

yelostang

Established Member

Are you talking about the TDSP? If so the pay is for E-3, not E-4, and I'm pretty sure it's for an undergrad degree only. I'm jumping through some hoops right now because there is a stupid line in the AFI about prior enlisted can't be above E-3 (I was an E-5) so they are going to file for an exception.

edit: The TDSP is for the Air Force and I know the Navy has a similar program, but I am unsure as to what they call it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread