What is everyone doing for slicks on 16" wheels

Avenger

Established Member
Hello there,

Been running with 26 x 9.5 x 16 Hoosier QTP last season but I will need stickier tires this year. After looking at Hoosier / MT / Goodyear / Phoenix / Toyo and M&H, it looks like my options are as follows....

1) Hoosier 28 x 10 x 16
2) M&H 26 x 12 x 16

I'm pretty sure both tires would require different wheels as my 16" 99 Mustang GT wheels are only 7.5" wide... Also, I don't think a 28" tire is a good idea since I'm still running the stock 3.55 gear and don't expect to run out of gear in 4th...

What is everyone doing for slicks on 16" wheels ?? Please don't tell me to grind the IRS and fit 15"... :nono:

Avenger

Established Member
Wow, 11.5" tire on 7.5" wheel !! What kind of 60' are you pulling with these and how's the car stability when you let off the throttle after the run. Also, what kind of clearance do you have between the tire and IRS / fender ?

Just so you know, I recently ordered the N2MB WOT box and expect to leave the line at 15-20psi of boost so I need something that hooks !!

Think the MT would do the trick ??

spray175

Established Member
I had those M&H on my CCW drag pack. They were 16" rear wheels. Those M&h hook really good! I would recommend them. That was on a 10" wide wheel.

Avenger

Established Member
spray, what kind of 60' were you able to pull with that setup ? I'm looking for wheels right now and there's not much choice besides Bogart and CCW... Anything less expensive ?

spray175

Established Member
spray, what kind of 60' were you able to pull with that setup ? I'm looking for wheels right now and there's not much choice besides Bogart and CCW... Anything less expensive ?

I never had the chance to get it right at the track. they hooked awesome on the street though when launch or even 1st, 2nd gear roll. Theres not too many options for 16" wheels.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Did you guys that are running 16" wheels in the IRS have to grind the toe link attachment point on the rear knuckle for clearance?

Thanks!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Avenger

Established Member
No, that's why I want to stay with 16" wheels. There's no way I'm gonna grind any part of the IRS. The stock 16" wheels from my previous 99 GT fit perfectly.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
No, that's why I want to stay with 16" wheels. There's no way I'm gonna grind any part of the IRS. The stock 16" wheels from my previous 99 GT fit perfectly.

So, you're saying a 16" clears the IRS knuckle without any modification? Could it be someone put a 15" on the rear and needed to grind the toe link connection point for clearance? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread