What is a good 1st Gun

Junk_in_Trunk

Established Member
I live in California, just as a heads up.

I can't decide what to get - a rifle or a shotgun, maybe a handgun.

I have always wanted an M4, but I want something really reliable like an M1A (socom 16 maybe). Something I can go shooting with, use for protection, and if the world ends use for hunting :shrug:

I also would really love an 8 shot automatic shotgun - like a Benelli M3. :banana:

I know a little about guns but I am not an expert. I was wondering what you guys like, and what you think would be the best way to go.

Also my Father said he would get the gun for me - so I would feel bad getting something as expensive as the Benelli or Socom.

Any help is would be greatly appreciated :beer:

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
Are you a resident of Florida?
If so..Your firearm purchase will be much more pleasant there..You also get more ammo capacity for whatever it is you buy. A concealed weapons permit is also doable..In LA,it's next to impossible.
That may not be an issue if all you want is a long gun..Have you considered a Mini 14?
It's a smaller version of an M14,fuctionally identical & chambered in .223.
They also are 1/2 the price of a good M14...Plus,they sell them at Wal Mart.

306Stang

Established Member
shotgun- franchi i12 NO QUESTIONS . . . DO IT

rifle- depends on what you want to shoot. .223, 30-06, 273, 7 mag

Junk_in_Trunk

Established Member
I am a resident of Florida but I live in California b/c I go to school here. I am continually blown away at how great and horrible this state is (for things like guns/cars/ i.e fun). I have set my mind on a long gun. I would like to own a hand gun someday but I think for now I'd have more fun with a rifle or shotgun. I like the M1A b/c of the round size and its durability.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
A good M1A or SOCOM II is $1400..I'm in the market for one myself.
A Mini-14 costs 650ish & in my opinion would be a better "1st gun" to better practice your shooting funamentals..But it sounds like to me you have your mind made up.

Junk_in_Trunk

Established Member
I do and don't have my mind made up. I know that socom is f*cking bad@ass and so is a tactical shotgun. But I'm not positive - I just have an idea of what I like. Plus I don't know the first thing about where to go and what to do. I know that I can't buy a gun online but I have to have it sent to a dealer and then pay a dealer fee. It's my 1st time on the block so I don't know my way around yet :shrug:

I know a lot of guys on here are real gun enthusiasts and I was hoping that their experience could help guide me in my 1st purchase.

I appreciate all the help so far.

Junk_in_Trunk

Established Member
This Mini M14 looks awesome - but it is modified - and I have no idea if the modifications are legal in California.

pimped_mini14_2.jpg

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Pistol grip - no.
Stock - I'm guessing no
Muzzle brake (if that's an aftermarket one) - no

Ask KingSnake. He lives in Cali and has a good arsenal and will know the gun laws better than most anyone else on the board.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 x 20mm scope to me, in its correct orientation. The ring for adjusting the magnification is definitely in the right spot.

And that mini-14 is badass.

OP - what about an AR15 chambered in .308? If you're actually going to want to hunt anything worth eating, the little 60-grain tumblers from a .223 aren't going to be the best option.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=255

Oh wait, California. Nevermind, don't know if it's legal there.

Last edited:

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I would say a basic rifle or a basic handgun. Something simple to learn on. Out of the two different types, I would say a handgun. If an asshole breaks into your house, it's pretty difficult to maneuver around corners with a rifle. Handguns are a little more useable in the real world unless you hunt. I'd suggest a 9mm or .40 Glock. Reliable as hell, simple to break down and clean, relatively cheap, and easy to mod.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
handgun = Springfield XD 40 or 45. Thiswas my first and still is my favorite gun to shoot. Great for home security as well.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
A nice pump shottie is fun to shoot, versatile, and will be your best for home protection.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
a good first gun is a .22lr learn the basics befor u go out there and not know anything

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Handgun Ruger P89 or a shotgun.

If you are looking for home pertection get a shotgun, bigger spray and won't kill the person in the next house or apartment over.

dogmush

Established Member
I have an M3 Super 90 and it's a great shotgun. I would definiatly recomend it. But 1.) the convertable version isin't imported anymore and it's really a nice feature. Light birdshot loads won't cycle an M3 reliably. and 2.) The pistol grip, I don't think is leagal in CA. you might want to check that.

I think a 12 gauge is a great first gun. They are very versitle, and lots of fun to shoot. My advice FWIW, go get one of the good pump guns Mossberg 500, Rem 870, or Benelli Nova. Then find a skeet range and have some fun.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
First gun should always be a .22
Why?
Mine was an S&W .357 Magnum.
Granted I have qualified on 9mm & M16 for 13 years.
I just wouldn't speak in absolutes..
I've learned that an adult should start out pretty much with what they want in terms of "normal" calibers..(9mm,.40s&w,etc).
If I had to do it over again,I would've bought ONE hand gun..& that would be a Sig P226.
BTW,here's me at the range with my FIRST gun..in this case shooting .38 special ammo.(it cheaper & easier to control)

image.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread