What is a base tune ?

crazygn

Established Member
Never had a mail tune before always dyno tuned . My tuner sent me a base tune to data log and it seems the same or slower then the tune that was in the car. Then again it's unknown if it's a stock tune or what in the car . Question is ... Is a base tune just a very safe tune to log and then they build your tune from the info they got . Or is that your tune

Sorry for the dumb question guys just new to this

Voltwings

Established Member
A tuner should never just put a balls to the wall tune on someones car the first time out. Yes, they'll all act more or less the same with the same mods, but every car IS different, and is going to respond differently. A base map is basically just adjusted to your mods, making sure your car is accepting the changes, making sure everything is good before things start getting turned up.

Basically this is your tuner dipping his toe into your car as opposed to just straight cannon balling in and hoping for the best. Give it a few revisions and you'll notice a difference.

Last edited:

crazygn

Established Member
Great thanks for the help got it now . Just got my tune and I thought most people hit 5th gear in the 1/4 with 3.73's .... My data said I was 117.4 mph at the end of 4th at 7,443 rpm

Users who are viewing this thread