What i learned from my first clutch install

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
I installed the 03/04 clutch and aluminum flywheel etc.

First off if you think you want this kit and are scared because of all the people saying is has a really heavy pedal i think they are nuts. mine feels great? Im comparing the new clutch to an 80,000 mile origional but my pedal now is alot easier than it was before.

second off the kit does not come w/ the alignment tool. I got one at autozone for cheap.

rusty exhaust bolts and the hard to get to top starter bolt caused the biggest problems. the rest was pretty straight forward.

heat and pb blaster for the exhaust and for the starter take the top bolt (pita) out first so that the others are holding the starter for you and take the easy ones out last.

for the same reason put the top bolt in last. It goes in easier than it comes out.

I used new flywheel and new pressure plate and neither came w/ the pressure plate bolts. I didnt really know what i needed and steve missed it as well. Also the bolts are torque to yield so they shouldnt be re-used any way. so be sure to order pressure plate bolts.

To save time and energy you can unbolt the shifter from the bottom of the car w/ a wrench. Lower the transmission slightly and then just undo the 4 bolts and the shifter will stay in the car. A ratchet wrench works great.

Its really not hard just takes time and if you know someone whose lift you can use that made my life alot easier.

Hope this helps someone.

Ill post pics of my TOB it was in pretty bad shape.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Sounds like some sound advice. Must have been really nice to have a lift. The average joe has to do it on their back...

When I swapped my clutch I learned I never wanted to do it again, even though I'm sure I will when the need arises. Just no excuse for paying someone else to do it when I'm perfectly capable...

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
There's a great writeup around here somewhere that mentions some of those things. Helped me a ton when I did mine. Congrats on a successful install.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I learned new curse words and that blood looks bright red when your hands are cover in grease... Also, beer is your friend...

Good tips though, Im sure they will help someone who has to take on that adventure

epracmetcon

Established Member
When I swapped my clutch I learned I never wanted to do it again

I have said that all 3 times I have had my trans out for something....All within a year too...lol I can get it out in 2 hours on my back with hand tools now...lol

shipwreck17

I Bleed Blue
Established Member
yea rippinsvt has a good writeup in the how to section.

This makes me really not want headers though. Having to loosen/ remove one to get the trans out would make it so much harder.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Shipwreck, you can still drop the tranny with Hookers and Flowtech's. BBK's and Mac's you can't though.

Oh, and I agree about the lift thing. I've done headers, clutches, motor-swaps, exhausts, rearends, whatever on my back, and that shit sucks. I almost always use a lift now. I just take it to a friend's shop and do it. 10 times easier and less frustrating with almost every install/repair. I want to put on in my garage at home since we have 18-foot ceilings.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I have said that all 3 times I have had my trans out for something....All within a year too...lol I can get it out in 2 hours on my back with hand tools now...lol

2 hours huh? Hmm, you're not far from me. I'll pay your gas and a case of beer for you to come do mine when I need it... :p

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
BTW guys, if you wanna make it a LOT easier on yourselves, cut the 2 cast-in tabs off the sides of the tranny/bellhousing and it'll go back in a TON easier.

epracmetcon

Established Member
2 hours huh? Hmm, you're not far from me. I'll pay your gas and a case of beer for you to come do mine when I need it... :p

With a case of beer it might take a little longer then 2 hours...hahah let me know, Id definitely be happy to come lend a hand.

ditto :) except one catch... I have BBK LT's.......

Id be more then happy to lend a hand...but I think that might take a little longer...lol

and YES cut off those tabs on the top of the bellhousing, makes it so much easier going in and out...TRUST me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread