What HP gains do the forced induction give over normal CAI?

slvrlightning

Usual Suspect
Established Member
I have an open filter CAI, and am thinking of getting the JLP ram air setup, will this give me a big boost over what I have? I live in FL and its mad hot now, the truck just doesn't have the ummphh it had this past winter will this help?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Isn't Gibsonton where Carnies retire?

Anyways...anytime you take the air intake out of the engine compartment you help. I know on my 99 cobra in florida it actually hurt me to take out the silencer cuz it pulled in hot air from my engine compartment instead of colder air from my fender.

I'd say go for it. Especially over an open CAI...

Matt

203Cree

Established Member
Actual gains will be hard to get from any one. The way the JLP box is setup, you won't see any gains other than at road speed, which those conditions would be almost impossible to recreate on a dyno. I will tell you I noticed a considerable gain in throttle response, and it does feel a little more awake on the road, but other than that, I don't think anyone will be able to give you hard no's.

Later
Rob

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
is the ram air setup actually worth it? are all of the cone filters I read about replacing the whole stock box? does anyone other than K&n sell a drop in? sorry for hijack, just dont wanna buy an intake and change my mind later. rather do it right the first time.

203Cree

Established Member
1. Well, in all honesty, any open air cai with a heat shield will yeild better results than the stock box. The JLP box is NOT ram air, it's just forced air pass the filter. If you made a cover and sealed the top of the box and the pick up for where it gets air at the fender, the yes, it would be ram air, but as it stands right now, no it is not a true ram air setup.

2. Yes, all the cone types replace the stock box

3. I dunno.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
kromdom said:
cool, good stuff. really doesnt look that tough to mod the stock box and I bet it performes pretty well, kinda looks fun, I like doing stupid crap like that. looks like unless you wanna do that, the ram air jlp is the way to go.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
Has anyone tried the Volant air box set-up? It looks like it would work pretty good, it has a piece that comes off the box that goes into the fender hole like the stock box did. And also what about the AEM Brute Force intake?

Last edited:

Robert Francis

Established Member
Anything you can do to bring in lower temperature air in your intake is advantageous to avoid underhood temps that easly exceed 125+ on hot day. Any type of air intake setup that hangs an open filter in your engine compartment is not a "CAI" - although many are advertised as such. True "ram air" is a condition where air is "forced" into your intake at a faster rate than your intake is consuming it - where you would be actually "pressurizing" your intake system. We dont got fast enough to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread