What heads?

02saleen346

Established Member
Ive done some searching but would like opinions. I have a 01 cobra motor that im rebuilding to be blown. Im having my heads cleaned up with a 5 angle valve job, new valves etc and i was going to gave them ported or for around the same price get a pair of stock 03/04 heads and have them cleaned up but i cant afford to port them. This is going to be my last build for a while hopefully. What would be the best decision n the long run?

wma8706

Established Member
a properly ported 01 cobra heads will flow much better than a stock 03 terminator head. Depends on your budget and how much power you want to raise. Ultimately a ported terminator head or ported FR500 would probably provide the maximum flow for our engines.

02saleen346

Established Member
How much would i be lossing if i stick with my heads being ported compared to getting 03/04 heads portwd hp wise? After this install im probably going to save for my eaton swap or my t56. the cars come a long way. this is my second build do to a failed part in two years.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I'd save the $$$ and get better support hardware for the FI, like a solid fuel system or 8 rib setup, or whatever, make sure everything for the FI is robust.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
actually i think both will flow almost the same when ported. keep your 99 heads get them done if u want to do that. dont worry about getting the 03's

I thought the port shape was a little more optimal on the 03+ heads meaning that, even ported, they flowed a tad better?

Red3

Established Member
I thought the port shape was a little more optimal on the 03+ heads meaning that, even ported, they flowed a tad better?

I think its like =/- 5CFM differance. I THINK. I'm not positive though. Nazman and n/asvt both told me to keep my stock heads and have them ported vs going with the 03/04's and having them ported

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What cams will you be running? One of the biggest differences in the package is with the cams. The 99-01 cams (in addition to the heads) are designed for more top end power and RPM range, while the 03-04 cams are designed for more bottom end torque. As a result, the engine makes peak power lower in the RPM range. This can be troublesome for those with centrifugal blowers because there's 500 or so less RPM to build up the peak boost, which as we know, comes at peak RPM.

When I swapped to a junkyard aviator longblock (long story), I kept my procharger on it, and my motor actually made about 40 less peak horsepower, but made 30 more HP and 50 more LB/FT of torque than the 99 heads/cams at 4000 RPM, and peak torque came 1000 RPM's earlier in the powerband. Everything was held constant, including the procharger, pulley size, etc.. all except for the longblock and the tune. The tune might have had something to do with it, being that It was very conservative compared to the old tune because I didn't want to blow this one up. But you get the idea.

Homer

Last edited:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'd save the $$$ and get better support hardware for the FI, like a solid fuel system or 8 rib setup, or whatever, make sure everything for the FI is robust.

I agree. I mean, if you already have the 03-04 heads laying around, you might as well rock them, but it's not worth swapping out the heads if you have a perfectly good set of stock or even ported 99 heads, because the money would be better spent elsewhere, like supporting mods for the boost, or aftermarket cams, etc...

Homer

02saleen346

Established Member
I would be keeping my cams intell later on when i can afford after market ones. Ill go ahead and save for a cobra tank and do my heads. One more thing. Would it be better to get a aluminum teskid block over the my 04 cobra block?

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I would be keeping my cams intell later on when i can afford after market ones. Ill go ahead and save for a cobra tank and do my heads. One more thing. Would it be better to get a aluminum teskid block over the my 04 cobra block?

Better how? The teksid is lighter, sure.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
A teksid block will handle upwards of 750HP, and I've never heard of anyone grenading an aluminum block due to the excessive HP, like what people have done to 5.0 blocks. I mean, I destroyed a teksid block, but it was because the shop didn't fill the coolant properly, overheated it, and the block warped.

You'll save 100 LBS with the aluminum block.

Homer

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Thats alot of weight. Whats the rate for a Teksid block?

$300-$400 for a bare block. To be honest, there's no real reason to go hunting for a teksid. The current production WAP blocks (in every '05+ mustang GT) are PLENTY strong for anything you can afford to build.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
^ +1. While the Teksid block is 5lbs heavier than the WAP block, both can handle high power just fine (over 700) If you stumble across a deal for a Teksid, sure pick it up, but don't rule out a WAP block as well

Users who are viewing this thread