What HD-DVDs (or BlueRay) movies have you got? And my reviews of two:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Howdy,

Well I bought the HD-DVD adapter for my Xbox360 and I'd just like to see the picture is nice. :-D

To my knowledge, the HD-DVD adaptor that's hooked to the 360 is the only availabable HD-DVD player that outputs in 1080p (unless a new one has come out and I wasn't aware).

Anyway, with the HD-DVD player it came with King Kong (a loooooooooooong movie).

This movie offers great visuals throughout, especially King Kong, the boat/wave scenes, and the dinos (T-rex and the rest). However, the movie is so long and sometimes boring, it's hard to finish.

The next HD-DVD I bought was Batman:Begins,

I saw this movie in theaters, and with the HD-DVD it makes it rather theater-istic due to all the details. The open landscape shots are nice and the shots of Gotham City show what HD is all about. :-D

If you're looking something to show off HD-Dvd, I'd pick Batman over King Kong, because, well, King Kong is just too long. :sleeping:

Last edited:

asskickn88

Established Member
I have Mission Impossible 3, Xmen United, Devils Rejects and Gone in 60 Seconds in Blu Ray, all are awesome. I'm using the HDMI and digital audio output of the PS3. I have Doom and Perfect Storm on HD DVD and those look good as well. I dont think you can go wrong with any HD format though, I just hate the way the demand has gone so high on the Blu Ray discs now you cant get them cheap.

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
I'm SOOO close to buying the HD add-on. Might have to wait till after Christmas and getting the car done first. I already have the HD TV, is it really THAT much difference between regular and HD?

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
BradN01 said:
I'm SOOO close to buying the HD add-on. Might have to wait till after Christmas and getting the car done first. I already have the HD TV, is it really THAT much difference between regular and HD?
Regular DVD's output at 480p, which is 307,200 pixels, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray output in 1080 which is 2,073,600 pixels, so you can see with that many more pixels the level of detail is incredible. Its basically the same difference as watching an NFL game on a standard TV, or on an HDTV with and HDTV tuner, HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

There is an HD-DVD player besides the 360 add-on that outputs 1080p, the Toshiba HD-XA2.

760-MPH

Established Member
I have the xbox 360 add-on as well hooked up to a 50" SXRD.

I thought KingKong was just an OK movie - we just signed up for NetFlix and just watched You,Me, & Dupree in HD. Pretty funny movie.

Next up in my queue is Superman returns HD-DVD

by the way, NetFlix has a really good selection of HD-DVD's for those of you who are interested

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
HD-DVD:

*Batman Begins
Doom
*Last Samurai
*Serenity (must have)
Assauly on Precinct 13
*Tokyo Drift
*MI:3
Army of Darkness
Constantine
Terminator 3

Played on my Toshiba HD-XA1 player.

The ones with * are the ones I've watched so far.

BB and Mi3 look sick :rockon:

/hugHDDVD

dfw99cobra

Established Member
Allanon said:
Regular DVD's output at 480p, which is 307,200 pixels, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray output in 1080 which is 2,073,600 pixels, so you can see with that many more pixels the level of detail is incredible. Its basically the same difference as watching an NFL game on a standard TV, or on an HDTV with and HDTV tuner, HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

There is an HD-DVD player besides the 360 add-on that outputs 1080p, the Toshiba HD-XA2.

I was jumping in on this thread to ask about hd-dvd as I only heard about it recently. It never fails with dvds though that you buy a regular version and a special edition comes out. I pat myself on the back for my half decent dvd collection and guess what, here comes hd-dvd. Now all my shit is obselete. Oh well...

Question:

If I don't have any means of playing an hd-dvd but would like to get a player would I be better off buying an xbox 360 and the add on like I was planning on doing or just buying an hd-dvd player?

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
dfw99cobra said:
I was jumping in on this thread to ask about hd-dvd as I only heard about it recently. It never fails with dvds though that you buy a regular version and a special edition comes out. I pat myself on the back for my half decent dvd collection and guess what, here comes hd-dvd. Now all my shit is obselete. Oh well...

Question:

If I don't have any means of playing an hd-dvd but would like to get a player would I be better off buying an xbox 360 and the add on like I was planning on doing or just buying an hd-dvd player?
Well, the cheapest HD-DVD player is $500. A premium 360 is $400 plus the add-on drive @ $200 = $600, so its $100 more, but you get a sweet ass gaming rig to go with it. Shop around a little before you buy, most places are offering some bundles that come with a free game or extra controller, and I believe Target is giving $50 gift cards. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any more help with it.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
Allanon said:
Well, the cheapest HD-DVD player is $500. A premium 360 is $400 plus the add-on drive @ $200 = $600, so its $100 more, but you get a sweet ass gaming rig to go with it. Shop around a little before you buy, most places are offering some bundles that come with a free game or extra controller, and I believe Target is giving $50 gift cards. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any more help with it.

Odds are I'll get a 360 for christmas and I'll throw down on the adapter towards the end of the month.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Sorry, forgot about email notifications being off now. :-D

But yeah, you can see a bit of difference in most movies, ESPECIALLY side-by-side.

I have seen Superman, Poseidon (360 download via the Live Marketplace), Polar Express, King Kong, and Batman Begins, all in hi-def so far.

King Kong and Batman Begins are the nicest example of HD thus far. The Superman movie was shot with a digital camera, and I think they tried to add a little film grain and just sorta made it worse. There are some tiny visual artifacts in various scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread