What happened

msmap

Lady Snake
Established Member
Tonight as I started my Cobra up after a 30 minute stop, it was making a terrible metal grinding noise. I shut him down but the noise continued. I started it back up and the noise got louder so I shut him down again and the noise continued for about 2-3 minutes. We were ready to pull the battery cables to see if that would stop it but then it stopped. Didn't notice the temp gauge but the car had a hot metal smell. Towed it to the dealer and they started it, no noise, pulleys and fan turning. Could this have been the starter? It wasn't that starter screeching noise. But why all the heat? They will check it out tomorrow and of course test drive it to duplicate. It has 1149 miles on it. Any thoughts? TIA

Sherri
2001 Cobra

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
A good guess would be the starter, since you shut the car off and it still was grinding. Sounds like the started engaged but didn't disengage, that's why when you started it back up the noise got loulder, sounds like the starter grinding on the flywheel. Let us know what it was! Hope you get your car back soon.

Tim:)

msmap

Lady Snake
Established Member
I just got the Snake back from the dealer. They claim they started it up over 50 times and can't duplicate the problem. Guess we will see them again sooner or later unless we check it out ourselves this weekend. We'll just keep the pliers ready to yank off the cables quicker next time :)

Sherri
2001 Cobra
1969 Mach 1

Users who are viewing this thread